Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Why can't i bounce to MP3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden APG View Post
Yeah but how do you save all your inserts, aux sends, and special effects added in pro tools when you bounce it with other software? Wont the inserts be lost once you take the .wav file out of pro tools software? And can you merge several audio files say drums, guitar, vocals...etc into one mp3 file using other software?
You will bounce to Wave from PT and then go to “other” software for the conversion and any other “finishing” that the mix needs. It will all be there.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Jay View Post
That is quite lame and i don't see why that would make sense to purchase an extra feature just so you can bounce to an MP3 file, WTF is this?

True !. it does kinda piss people off, its like going to a new car lot, picking out your car, and then you notice the steering wheel is missing
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Regardless of the thoughts on the option, if you want it you can purchase it at sweetwater or the avid store. 20 bucks. I have 2 of them, and dammit you can't sell them cause it's more expensive for the ilok fee than buying it new. I actually do use it now. I always used iTunes, but now I just bounce a mp3 after I bounce my mixed wav. Same settings just to mp3. I got used to it now. I only ever use it to send idea mixes to my band anyway.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:46 PM

I haven't used it in yrs & more yrs.. I don't even do MP3's for that matter; I do MP4's on'eim...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 AM

The only use I could see this being is if you wanted to post your songs on myspace, in which I do Keys original suggestion and just use Itunes to convert the songs from .wav to .mp3.
-Purchased Plugs: Tracks S3 Deluxe, Motu Symphonic Instrument, Abbey Roads Drums 70s, and Eleven LE
-PT LE 8.04 CS 2 (Mac) and PT LE 8.04 (Win 7)
Myspace undergoing *Beta Testing* Thrush Records
Old 04-11-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeBeard View Post
The only use I could see this being is if you wanted to post your songs on myspace, in which I do Keys original suggestion and just use Itunes to convert the songs from .wav to .mp3.
That is the way to go.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:30 PM

I bought it. For convenience.

Otherwise I could load the stereo .wav file in Audacity and use the lame_enc.dll file for that (you'll have to search the web for it but it's easy to find. Then bounce that file as an mp3. I used to do that, but it's kind of a pain and I'm lazy.

But I figured with all the money I've dropped on this money pit, what's another $20.

IMO really. Digi. Come on. Would it break the company to include this in PT?

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B View Post
I bought it. For convenience.

Otherwise I could load the stereo .wav file in Audacity and use the lame_enc.dll file for that (you'll have to search the web for it but it's easy to find. Then bounce that file as an mp3. I used to do that, but it's kind of a pain and I'm lazy.

But I figured with all the money I've dropped on this money pit, what's another $20.

IMO really. Digi. Come on. Would it break the company to include this in PT?
I actually have an extra ilok license of the mp3 option (because i bought one then later bought MPTK2) but it would be cheaper for someone to buy it direct than transfering with ilok fees of $25. So even if i gave it away for free it would still be more. lol
Old 05-06-2010, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Why can't i bounce to MP3?...my 2cents

I am here to endorse the comments of those before me. How can Avid have the cahonnas to charge an additional $20 for the bounce to MP3 option. I'm a recent convert from Audacity (freeware) where the MP3 capability is free as well and simply don't understand. When I told my colleagues I was taking the plunge, they said there was little to gain. Frankly, after a few weeks, I totally disagree but was highly disappointed in this little money grab from a company that I have already spent a substantially amount of coin with. You'd think they were elected. Makes me wonder what little hidden tax is next as I dig deeper into the capabilities of this software.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:37 PM

You have to wonder this though. Pro Tools on any level (excluding essential) is at least self proclaimed professional software designed for the higher end production. Maybe they exclude it or charge for it because they either assume or hope that their users are bouncing out to wav and keeping the higher quality standards of todays music. MP3's are not nearly the quality of wav. Just a thought.