How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2020, 05:41 AM

Default Control Surfaces

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well in these trying times...

Having started out with tape and consoles before going ITB , I understand the convenience and ease of use that control surfaces bring to the game. However I haven't used any control surfaces apart from a brief fling with a Yamaha O1V long ago.

I'm interested in the new generation of Avid control surfaces, but I'm a noob in that territory, and I have a few questions for those of you who use them.

1. Some people use both the S series as well as a PT Dock. What functionality does a dock have that you can't get with, say, three S1's?

2. Is there any special advantage with an S3 as compared with three S1's?

3. Do you need the Control app when using S1's without a PT Dock?
Old 04-15-2020, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Control Surfaces

The Dock adds alot of editing functions, softkeys, dedicated automation buttons, as well as some very good session navigation and plugin control in combo with Avid Control app.

I started with two S1's and was torn between a third S1 or a Dock (limited desk space). I ended up going with a Dock and now I cant see myself without it.

Personally, Id go with two S1's over an S3. First, they are cheaper. Also, they are expandable both in number, and with tablet meter bridge. Then you have the ergonomics of being able to put a Dock between them as opposed to off to the side.

I mix some pretty large sessions and I find that a Dock and two S1's are pretty idea if you use Layouts and VCA spill. I rarely have to bank. Every track is one button push away.

Last edited by Lynn Gräber; 04-15-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Control Surfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Gräber View Post
The Dock adds alot of editing functions, softkeys, dedicated automation buttons, as well as some very good session navigation and plugin control in combo with Avid Control app.

I started with two S1's and was torn between a third S1 or a Dock (limited desk space). I ended up going with a Dock and now I cant see myself without it.

Personally, Id go with two S1's over an S3. First, they are cheaper. Also, they are expandable both in number, and with tablet meter bridge. Then you have the ergonomics of being able to put a Dock between them as opposed to off to the side.

I mix some pretty large sessions and I find that a Dock and two S1's are pretty idea if you use Layouts and VCA spill. I rarely have to bank. Every track is one button push away.
Thanks, Lynn.