Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 AM

Default Profire 2626 not being recognized by ProTools 7.4cs3

OK guys, I need your help. I sold my original Tyan Tiger Quadzilla to a friend who has installed the new M-Audio Profire 2626 interface and M Powered PT LE 7.4cs3 on a clean XP Pro install with all the Windows updates and latest drivers installed. This machine ran my HD Native system flawlessly for two years so it definitely works with protools. I also recall a few original Quad builders were using M-Powered so maybe there's something I missed.

I tested the onboard Firewire using a firewire Hard drive and it definitely works fine. I have d/l'ed all updated drivers from the M-Audio site and followed the Digi instructions to the letter. Digi states that the ProFire is now supported by PT 7.4cs3.

The dang machine is STILL not recognizing the Profire interface. PT won't startup. My poor buddy is tearing what little hair he has left on his head out.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that the M-Audio unit or ProTools isn't seeing the on-board firewire. But before I ask my buddy to buy a new firewire card, I was hoping there might be an M-Powered user in here who could lend a hand....I know people were using the Tyan onboard Firewire for M-Powered and also for LE so I find it hard to believe that this is the problem...buts it all I can think of.

I have ZERO experience with the M-Powered stuff so I could use all the help I can get. I am getting a SANDRA report run on it tonight and will post when I have it...or if whomever can help sends me an email
([email protected]), I can also forward the SANDRA report directly. I feel really bad for this guy who was so excited about finally getting pro tools and he is still sucking wind...so I want to try to get him going.

thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Profire 2626 not being recognized by ProTools 7.4cs3

IMHO, I'm willing to be it's the onboard firewire.... TYAN motherboards are not MB's I would consider for an audio machine, let-alone the onboard FW card. IF that is the problem and it's not that the unit itself is bad, this would do the trick:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FWCardPCI/
Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the input Brad.....regarding the Tyan's suitability as a ProTools mother board....I used this machine daily for two years as an HD Core/Accel system and it performed flawlessly, rock solid and was able to outperform HD 4 systems at ten times the cost. The onboard firewire was connected to 4 hard drives which I used to track to regularly. There are also a lot of other "Quadzilla" builders over on the LE forum who had the same experience.

I'm hoping its something stupid like a driver or a BIOS setting...
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 AM

A Tyan board was also directly recommended by digidesign for a time on their compatibility pages.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 AM

I'm not saying it won't work---just not what I'd recommend looking at a 10,000ft view is all Sometimes Manufacturers recommend things that may or may not be the ideal situation. Am I saying to never go Tyan? No, not at all----but personally, I don't use anything but ASUS and only a few models within that line.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM

FWIW, I have that exact same setup which is now working. I was having problems having it not being recognized until I switched the firewire cable. That fixed it for the most part, although it will still not see it every 10th start or so. I'm using the built in firewire, but I just got a Digi approved SIIG PCI firewire card that I am going to install tonight to see if it cures the problem 100%.

For the most part, this setup works fine. Unfortunately, the way to I get the computer to "see" the 2626 is hot plugging the unit. Both Digi and M-Audio tell you not to do this, so it's at your own risk.

http://www.badrap.org
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM

OK, installed the SIIG FW card and STILL unable to recognize the firewire connection from the Profire to the PC. When I try to bring up the M-Audio Profire console (without even loading PT), it says that no unit is connected.

Was able to get the unit recognized once in a four hour period. Installing, uninstalling, reinstalling M-Audio drivers...to no avail. Even tried hot swapping and no luck. Then I noticed that the FW card is 3.15 and that Digi only supports 3.11 but there are NO 3.11 cards available anywhere. I NEVER had this much trouble with my 002r or HD suites in the same PC. Nor did I ever have any trouble using my on-board FW with my old 002r system.

FOUR HOURS with this P.O.S. and I have arrived at the inevitable conclusion that the M-Audio unit is unreliable.

Its going back to the store and getting replaced with an 003r. At least I know this will work. I really feel bad for the newbie who has been watching me tear my hair out over this.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm a pretty happy camper now, even happier after the new driver update. No problems at all (knock on wood). Did you ever try a new firewire cable?

"FOUR HOURS with this P.O.S. and I have arrived at the inevitable conclusion that the M-Audio unit is unreliable."

I believe you, but I'm not experiencing any unreliability. I was having similar issues until I swapped out the cable, firewire card and updated the driver.

http://www.badrap.org
Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Does the Profire 2626 work on other machines???
Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

wasn't able to test it on other machines and yes, I tried three different FW cards and two other FW cables...all to no avail. Also was able to hook up an 002r to the machine and no problemo...