Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 PM

Default Re: 9.0.1 Feature request - Input Monitoring Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelo View Post
At the risk of sounding rude, that's seems like a closed minded assumption. Maybe in the 6+ years you have been running PT you haven't tried to integrate it with an analog console with a mix of hardware/software monitoring. For those of us who do, the lack of this feature is a huge disappointment.

And I don't care how fast or powerful anyone's system is - even at the lowest buffer setting this is still a problem.

All this talk of buffer settings is getting this thread off topic - and just because the problem may not affect YOUR workflow, it affects MANY peoples' and needs to be fixed asap. Buffer settings have nothing to do with this issue, because quite frankly, maybe we WANT to monitor off our hardware input. Maybe we have hardware effects that we want to send to the cue mix but not to the record input. Maybe we have PT outputs spread out across a console and have a custom cue mix created in the analog realm. Even if you have a zero latency system, there is still a need in some people's workflow to use analog hardware for cue mixes. So why can't we MUTE the damn software monitoring without muting the tracks playback!!!

Simply put: If you use an analog console to create aux send headphone mixes - you need the ability to hear playback of a track without monitoring the software input once the record starts. This is primarily an issue during punches - where an artist needs to hear a previously recorded region, but then monitor the analog cue mix from the console during the punch.

Can anyone from Avid give an honest reason why this is not implemented in PT9 and IS on other DAWs?

geelo
OK, now I understand the importance of this feature for those accustomed to using it. The emerging threads on this kinda look like the old ADC threads. Some gave up on PT (for the moment ), others were baffled by all DAWs but PT having ADC, etc etc. Avid gave us ADC, plus the ability to use 3rd party interfaces (which is the very reason why the monitoring feature has magnified). I'd bet this is being looked into as it would be nice to have even for those who don't see it as that important. Hey, they did an immaculate job at not telling us ADC was coming until the day it came; this feature could be no different.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemarcel View Post
After each take you must unmute to listen back and remute to have another take, small inconvenience but not horrible.

The big problem is punch-ins. Currently you have to get your left hand ready on command spacebar and your left hand with the mouse hovering over the mute button. You hit play on the unmuted track then at the punch hit record and mute together and the same on punch out. You have to do one slightly after the other because pro tools doesn't recognize the click for the mute if you are holding down command at the same time.
This can be tricky and is a pain...

I hope I was clear about the problem, I ramble a lot.
Quite clear, and it's exactly what I came here to write, so thanks for saving me the trouble!

Also, when cutting vocals by myself with the Tranzport remote, needing to do a punch is almost impossible. Hitting record + mute with just the right timing, while standing at the mic, getting ready to sing? Forget about it.

I agree that being able to turn input monitoring off would 1) make a lot of people happy and 2) must be a rather easy addition for Avid to make to the software.

Let's hear it, Avid - please?????

Oh, and one more thing, in response to those saying "just turn your buffer size down" (besides, simply, "NO"): since input monitoring with latency is most noticeable with vocals, and vocals are often done towards the end of a session, there are often lots of plug-ins already running on OTHER tracks at that point. And I get enough session-stopping "CPU overload" errors with Pro Tools, even with the CPU hovering around 10%, that I need to run at a high buffer size to ensure that this won't happen while tracking. So no, lower buffer sizes isn't the answer here. Being able to gracefully implement outboard cue mixing is.

Leigh
Old 02-26-2011, 01:14 AM

Try the presonus faderport. You can hit record and mute at the same time. Works great.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelo View Post
At the risk of sounding rude, that's seems like a closed minded assumption. Maybe in the 6+ years you have been running PT you haven't tried to integrate it with an analog console with a mix of hardware/software monitoring. For those of us who do, the lack of this feature is a huge disappointment.

And I don't care how fast or powerful anyone's system is - even at the lowest buffer setting this is still a problem.

All this talk of buffer settings is getting this thread off topic - and just because the problem may not affect YOUR workflow, it affects MANY peoples' and needs to be fixed asap. Buffer settings have nothing to do with this issue, because quite frankly, maybe we WANT to monitor off our hardware input. Maybe we have hardware effects that we want to send to the cue mix but not to the record input. Maybe we have PT outputs spread out across a console and have a custom cue mix created in the analog realm. Even if you have a zero latency system, there is still a need in some people's workflow to use analog hardware for cue mixes. So why can't we MUTE the damn software monitoring without muting the tracks playback!!!

Simply put: If you use an analog console to create aux send headphone mixes - you need the ability to hear playback of a track without monitoring the software input once the record starts. This is primarily an issue during punches - where an artist needs to hear a previously recorded region, but then monitor the analog cue mix from the console during the punch.

Can anyone from Avid give an honest reason why this is not implemented in PT9 and IS on other DAWs?

geelo
Until pro tools 9 I never even considered this feature, but being able to introduce an RME interface into my studio has been fantastic. After learning totalmix, I saw the potential for it in my workflow - if only I was able to turn off software monitoring.

What I fear is after reading Avid's recent hardware exchange offer (and please forgive if I misquote), one of the selling points of HD native is "no distracting monitoring latency", this makes me think PT9 won't get it...or if so it will be a while.

Not to mention it's a little weird to hear them admit that some of the more critical features of their software are their software are "distracting".

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue