Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Does Beat detective suck, or is it me?????????

Beat detective rocks

Especially for rock. Some styles its not suited for. Jazz etc.

Honestly if you set it right it works great. Some drummers are just plain off. You have to prep sections with hand edits or better takes.

Make sure you listen for what note values are being played. If the drummers doing a triplet fill and you set it for 16th notes its going to mess up. Music theory is a must for protools engineers. People go to school for learning how to run protools. I think its a waste. Go to school for music. It ties right into protools. Learn scales, rhythmic dictation etc and you will breeze thru this stuff. Technical stuff you can learn on the internet and by watching videos and others.

On that note.

Some drummers are better then others. With bad ones do less. Tell them they arent on the click and its going to take longer. Dont say they suck even though you want too.

I have had tight drummers that I can beat detect in one pass. Death metal drummers are the worst to get on the grid. Do a lot of takes. Get the best ones you can. Then plan on spending awhile editing. One thing your not going to be able to fix unless you sound replace is kicks not lining up with snares, Hi hats not lining up with kicks and snares etc. Those you have to look out for. Those will throw off beat detective. BD looks for the strongest hit and it edits to that. If the kick is an 16th early from the hat. Its going to screw up. Take one bar at a time until you get comfy.

As far as fades clicking. Well you are probably going to have to scan the whole drum track and pull out bad fades. Its part of it.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM

well you've gotta ask yourself when to use BD... It would never cross my mind to use BD on a great performance. That would male it bad...

BD more or less is able to quantize the audio - and Q'ing is "always" a non musical thing to do - IMO. Use BD as a similarity no noise reduction. It aint the to make a hit but there to help you correct mistakes... Like a noise reduction tool would remove noise...

I love BD - It has saved me a few times... So - My answer to your Q : Its you
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Music theory is a must for protools engineers. People go to school for learning how to run protools. I think its a waste. Go to school for music. It ties right into protools. Learn scales, rhythmic dictation etc and you will breeze thru this stuff. Technical stuff you can learn on the internet and by watching videos and others.

This is so true - I never thought in my wildest dreams that my Berklee degree would be of use in the editing world of Pro Tools, but I find myself applying music theory to everything from BD to Auto Tune (i.e., nothing locks in a flat root note quickly like shifting AT so it becomes the major second or major third in the assigned scale).
Old 02-16-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
i.e., nothing locks in a flat root note quickly like shifting AT so it becomes the major second or major third in the assigned scale
what???
Old 02-16-2008, 06:50 AM

There is a free Beat Detective Collection Mode video on this page

http://www.grooveboxmusic.com/store/...nd-tricks.html

Hope it helps.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
i.e., nothing locks in a flat root note quickly like shifting AT so it becomes the major second or major third in the assigned scale
what???
If you're trying to AT the individual note 'C' that is slightly flat, instead of setting AT to a C major scale, set it to either Bb or Ab - it locks in better since the diatonic half step between 'B' and 'C' in a C major scale is now a whole step (Bb-C). Being able to do this by ear and on the fly is something that is I attribute to years of being bombarded by music theory.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:

On that note.

Some drummers are better then others. With bad ones do less. Tell them they arent on the click and its going to take longer. Dont say they suck even though you want too.

hahahhahahahaaaaa... that is good. Almost as good as reviving a 3 year old post with some helpful info.

and Steve M... come on, get with it. Next time you have to AT a VOX, utilizing EA; TP the DT up a TT and do a BTD for reference. Then take the GTR track and TP down a M3 and reharmonize, diatonically, to the 7th mode of MM.. sometimes known as Super Locrian. You can then turn off ADC and RTP the DT to the EE of a B# dotted 64th.... and Voila, C. Perfection. This formula, as best as I can tell, renders ADC obsolete. One can RTFM from AM to PM and never get this 411. Works with HD, LE, LP, DP, CB, but not GB. Please keep this on the QT( you can't get this stuff at Full Sail, only "music" school) .. good luck, SB... make that BS.
and...steve, very nice article in Mix this month, on EA.

glossary...of possible unfamiliar jargon of "real musician/engineers"
TP= transpose
DT= drum track
TT= tritone.. flat fifth, "devils interval"
M3= major third
MM= melodic minor
RTP= Rhythmic Transposition
EE= enharmonic equivalent