How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-04-2020, 02:09 AM

Default midi set up thru USB-records midi but no sound-plz help

Hi

On a mac pro

I can record n hear sound thru usb into mac Pro Tools 2020.5.0 when using a virtual synth, this is not a problem.

I need to hear the actual real synth thru USB/midi. I can record midi thru real synth on a pro tools midi track, but I hear no sounds coming from the real synth. I do have everything set up correctly in real synth internal [program.

I open the Peripherals in pro tools but I do NOT see this synth to choose from under midi controllers either.

I open MIDI Studio in Catalina I see the synth but do not see anything to connect this synths virtual patch to a midi interface?

Plz help?

Last edited by Nightflight; 07-06-2020 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:05 AM

Default Re: midi set up thru USB-records midi but no sound-plz help

You say you have everything set correctly, but do you have the actual audio outputs of the synth plugged in to your interface?

If you can control it via MIDI but don’t hear audio, sounds like it’s either not plugged in or you don’t have an active audio input for it within PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2020, 11:38 AM

^^^ what Sardi said.

Just to be clear MIDI has nothing to do with getting audio from your synth. MIDI connections in Audio/MIDI setup are irrelevant.

The USB interface may or may not be totally irrelevant... often the synth/keyboard is only providing MIDI over USB... *IF* (big if) it is also providing audio over USB then you need to get that connected to Pro Tools and that is controlled in the Pro Tools Play Back Engine settings, possibly also requiring you aggregate that input from that Synth with the audio device providing sound output ... done in the Audio part of Audio/MIDI setup.

But for most setups audio does not cone via a keyboard USB connection, more often audio gets to the DAW via analog outputs of the synth going into analog inputs on your interface, possibly line level analog or into a preamp using a DI box or DI input in the preamp or interface. Oh and alright just for completeness some synths/keyboards might provide digital output like S/PDIF so you could use that to get to your audio interface.

You will get better help here if you just say exactly what synth/keyboard and audio interfaces you have.

And the track you record this audio to needs to be an *audio* track, not an instrument track. That is a common cause of problems.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You say you have everything set correctly, but do you have the actual audio outputs of the synth plugged in to your interface?

If you can control it via MIDI but don’t hear audio, sounds like it’s either not plugged in or you don’t have an active audio input for it within PT.

Hi

No I just have usb out of kingkork into mac pro.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
^^^ what Sardi said.

Just to be clear MIDI has nothing to do with getting audio from your synth. MIDI connections in Audio/MIDI setup are irrelevant.

The USB interface may or may not be totally irrelevant... often the synth/keyboard is only providing MIDI over USB... *IF* (big if) it is also providing audio over USB then you need to get that connected to Pro Tools and that is controlled in the Pro Tools Play Back Engine settings, possibly also requiring you aggregate that input from that Synth with the audio device providing sound output ... done in the Audio part of Audio/MIDI setup.

But for most setups audio does not cone via a keyboard USB connection, more often audio gets to the DAW via analog outputs of the synth going into analog inputs on your interface, possibly line level analog or into a preamp using a DI box or DI input in the preamp or interface. Oh and alright just for completeness some synths/keyboards might provide digital output like S/PDIF so you could use that to get to your audio interface.

You will get better help here if you just say exactly what synth/keyboard and audio interfaces you have.

And the track you record this audio to needs to be an *audio* track, not an instrument track. That is a common cause of problems.

Hi

It's a KingKorg Synth.

I usually just record from synth into real hardware, like real players. But I wanted the luxury of recording the part once and then go thru my real synth sounds.

Yes I tried setting up thru audio midi and I see kingkorg but don't know what to virtually patch this too?

I also tried recording thru audio track but Ive yet to even get a signal from synth using ONLY USB connection.

I have an orion studio synergy core. Are you saying I have to run a cable out of kingkork into orion studio synergy core to make this work?

Thank you

Last edited by Nightflight; 07-06-2020 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:46 AM

You need to work on how you are describing stuff. You mean you want to play back midi into the Korg and record the audio out.

OK your Korg only does MIDI over USB, no audio interface support.

So if you want to record the audio you have to have a connection that signal flows over. It makes no difference wether you are playing the keyboard or if it’s playing a MIDI sequence from a Pro Tools MIDI track. I am not following what you have done before but if you have been recording audio from the Korg before you need the same connections... the line output(s) on the Korg going to line input(s) on your interface. Get recording working with you playing the keyboard first then add in the MIDI. Remember you have to record to a *audio* track not an instrument track.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You need to work on how you are describing stuff. You mean you want to play back midi into the Korg and record the audio out.

OK your Korg only does MIDI over USB, no audio interface support.

So if you want to record the audio you have to have a connection that signal flows over. It makes no difference wether you are playing the keyboard or if it’s playing a MIDI sequence from a Pro Tools MIDI track. I am not following what you have done before but if you have been recording audio from the Korg before you need the same connections... the line output(s) on the Korg going to line input(s) on your interface. Get recording working with you playing the keyboard first then add in the MIDI. Remember you have to record to a *audio* track not an instrument track.

How is this NOT clear?

Hi

On a mac pro

I can record n hear sound thru usb into mac Pro Tools 2020.5.0 when using a virtual synth, this is not a problem.

I need to hear the actual real synth thru USB/midi. I can record midi thru real synth on a pro tools midi track, but I hear no sounds coming from the real synth. I do have everything set up correctly in real synth internal [program.

I open the Peripherals in pro tools but I do NOT see this synth to choose from under midi controllers either.

I open MIDI Studio in Catalina I see the synth but do not see anything to connect this synths virtual patch to a midi interface?

Plz help?

It's a KingKorg Synth.

I usually just record from synth into real hardware, like real players. But I wanted the luxury of recording the part once and then go thru my real synth sounds.

Yes I tried setting up thru audio midi and I see kingkorg but don't know what to virtually patch this too?

I also tried recording thru audio track but Ive yet to even get a signal from synth using ONLY USB connection.

I have an orion studio synergy core. Are you saying I have to run a cable out of kingkork into orion studio synergy core to make this work?

Thank you
Old 07-06-2020, 03:38 AM

Some of what I'm writing is the same as what others have said here and some is new.

A lot of your confusion could have been saved by actually reading the manual for the Korg. It does NOT do audio over MIDI that I can see. You need to run audio cables from the Korg to your audio interface. What you're doing now is recording into PT the MIDI the Korg sends out but no audio. If that's all you want from the Korg then you don't need to do anything in PT to recognize it. If you want to use controls on the Korg to control sounds from a vi then yes you need to set things up in PT.

Some of the other confusion is something that was brought up and that's the terminology you're using. What do you mean by 'real hardware' and 'real players'?

QAPLA!
Old 07-06-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflight View Post
Because it is not possible. As has been pointed out by myself and others, the USB connection only carries MIDI data.

Quote:
That is EXACTLY what you need to do. Very simple. Connect the line outs of the synth to a set of inputs on the Orion. Create a MIDI track in PT for the note data and an audio track for the audio capture.

Done.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Some of what I'm writing is the same as what others have said here and some is new.

A lot of your confusion could have been saved by actually reading the manual for the Korg. It does NOT do audio over MIDI that I can see. You need to run audio cables from the Korg to your audio interface. What you're doing now is recording into PT the MIDI the Korg sends out but no audio. If that's all you want from the Korg then you don't need to do anything in PT to recognize it. If you want to use controls on the Korg to control sounds from a vi then yes you need to set things up in PT.

Some of the other confusion is something that was brought up and that's the terminology you're using. What do you mean by 'real hardware' and 'real players'?

If you're gonna be a smart ass, don't bother ever answering any of my questions.

Really are you that ignorant? Or just a fantasy musician jerk who hasn't made it, and feels good trying to knock other people?

I was stating a SIMPLE FACT that I record without using midi 99% of the time when using great REAL INSTRUMENTS, not plugin synths etc... And NO i'm NOT knocking plugins! They have there place as tools.

And REAL HARDWARE as opposed to plugins, meaning when I record LIVE I use great REAL HARDWARE to plug into and NOT use or worry about MIDI.

REAL PLAYERS who actually play with their hands LIVE while they record, they don't rely on midi and cheating by moving midi notes to a grid and also copying n pasting sections then believing they're a real musician.

I don't need your bad attitude if I read the korg manual. I once achieved recording midi and hearing it with my prophet 6 using a MIO connect.

No one has to bother helping me. I figure this out on my own. Thanks