Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Good Vox mic suggestions for bass/tenor voice?

Hello folks, just was curious as to other folks reccomendations for good vox mic for a bass/tenor range male voice? I have tried the cheap end condensers, and find that a SM57 does a better job.. I am looking for something that will not break the bank also please... Thank you in advance for suggestions
Old 09-30-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Good Vox mic suggestions for bass/tenor voice?

also just to go into detail a bit further, I am looking for something that will roll off the tinny/nasel/highs of ambient noise in the background a little with a low noise floor somewhat I believe... would a SM58 be my best bet maybe being it is cardioid pattern?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:48 AM

might try a SM7, MD441, RE20

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Which low-end condensers did you already try? As long as the noise floor is low, I would imagine you'd get pretty good results with something like a low-end Rode or Studio Projects or MXL or Audio Technica or something. If it has to be a dynamic, I second the votes for the RE20 or SM7. Not so sure about the Sennheiser MD421, though--if you're having problems with too many high-end artifacts, those are fairly treble-sensitive mics, and the RE or SM will give you better results.

Sometimes I have good luck with stage-designed dynamics, too. The AKG emotion series are worth a try--I like 'em better than Shures, anyway. I use the 808 a lot, but it does have a hypercardiod pattern that may pick up some room reflection, if that's a problem.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:52 PM

Any decent ($600-$1000) condenser will record a baritone voice as well as it will record a non baritone voice. A good mike is a good mike. I recorded a baritone voice the other day with my TLM103, and it sounds great.
Personally, aside from an occasional screaching lead singer, I'd never record any voice with a 57 or a 58.
An RE20 isn't a great mike for baritone vocals either, IMO. It does work on certain male voices. Robin Zander from Cheap trick fancied an RE20, for what ever that might be worth.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:11 PM

just to clarify, it doesn't have to be a dynamic mic actually... can be condenser, ribbon, dynamic..etc.. I am looking to probably spend no more than $500 honestly if I can get away with it (preferably the least cost the better). If cash was not an option, a perfect mic would of course be a Neumann U87... but... I am stuck with what I am stuck with... Here are a couple mics I had in mind:

Shure KSM32
Oktava MK12
Audio-Technica AT4033
AKG C 3000 B
Shure SM58

I already have:

Shure SM57
SHS OM450 (57 copy)
MXL 990 and 991 (both mics have the same capsule in them)
Apex 435
AKG dynamic (not sure of model number as I just got it)

I believe I might be able to make a couple of these mics "work" for what I am looking for, but I would have to dampen the room even further. In the place I live right now, it is hard to get proper isolation and I am in the process of building a make-shift iso booth possibly in the next couple days... in fact isolation might be my best bet on a budget... Out of the mics I was considering or in the $500 or less range, what would you guys suggest? I think right now I am leaning towards the Oktava for some reason... lol One of these days I will just break down and get a U87 or a TLM 103... thanks for the input.. peace