Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 08-26-2019, 12:52 PM

Default ProTools 2018 And Behinger UMV404HD Hardware Inserts

I have a question about hooking up my external compressor with my existing set-up. Mac Pro Trash can 2013, Mac 10.3.6, 100gbSSD, 64gb Ram, Protools 2018.12.0

Had the MBox Pro Gen3 updated working, but when I upgraded to Mac 10.3.6 and Protools 2018.12.0 (Not HD) the MBox would not be recognized by ProTools. I followed the threads here to upgrade it, trick it into upgrading, etc. Nothing worked.

After research, I found the Behringer 404 was a plug n' play stop gap. Not the best, but at least I can work.

I am trying to "Insert" my Warm Audio WA-2A compressor via the "insert" points on the back of the Behringer. I am using a TRS cord that "Y's" to just the tip, and the ring, separately. Single TRS to the insert on the Behringer, tip to the in on the compressor, Ring out of the return.

Using the I/O in PT, I tried designating insert/input 4 to the task, according to the manual. (All of this is taking place behind the Behringer.) When I use it as an insert on the vocal track, it seems to only affect the output/gain on the signal, (as I am manipulating it on the WARM.) Then, when I am playing the track back, I hear nothing even though the output is routed in a standard 1-2 on the track, and there is recorded information.

Any light on this would be so appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:25 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2018 And Behinger UMV404HD Hardware Inserts

The inserts on your 404 have nothing to do with Pro Tools or Pro Tools inserts. They are pure hardware insert points between the Mic-preamp output and the line level internal stage of your interface. They are exactly intended for only using outboard hardware while tracking... what you are in effect seeing. Don’t worry this is a common thing for folks trip up on.

It does not matter what you are configuring in Pro Tools, well except you might configure a hardware insert where there is no connection and then loose all signal. Pro Tools hardware inserts are different critters, they join an interface output to the numerically matching interface input interface, and work in those matched number pairs. So for example you could insert your compressor between Output 4 and Input 4 on your interface using two balanced cables... not a Y cable. The Pro Tools Reference Guide or tutorials on YouTube etc. about working with hardware inserts in Pro Tools should get you going.

As is frequent advice here, it will likely just be easier and you will get better performance here using a software plugin. To a large extent it does not matter how good your compressor is, you are routing all this though additional A/D and analog stages in the low-end interface. And LA-2A and other limiter/compressor plugins are widely available. Before committing to keep use this as an insert I would encourage you to A/B test this with some similar plugins. Sure can make things like dealing with any hum/noise, mixing on the go, or revising things later, much easier. But your call.