Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 AM

Default Quick punch monitoring the previous take...bug?

Hi

I don't know if anyone else has been seeing this...I did try a search but with no relevant results.

If I use quick punch to drop in over an existing take, every once in a while the track continues to monitor the existing take instead of switching to the incoming audio when I punch.

I've tried trashing all prefs and doing the usual disk utilities thing. This happens in all sessions as far as I can work out.

I'm using 7.3.1 HD3 PCIX on a dual 2 G5.

Thanks for any advice and I apologise if this has been dealt with before.

Jack
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Quick punch monitoring the previous take...bug?

I take it you have auto input enabled ? Page 79 PT users guide . .
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 04-22-2008, 05:00 PM

It's a bug that I have seen in 7.3.1 every once in a while, like you said. I posted the same a while ago and others stated it's a bug that has been there also in some previous versions. Very embarassing if you're recording vocal talent.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 PM

Make sure that you have installed the latest cs update for 7.3.1 cs6

This sounds related to this bug:

Fixes Included from Pro Tools HD 7.3.1cs3

Fixed: Random Disappearance or Corruption of Regions On Tracks When Editing Or Punching In (Item #85976)
Although this could occur while editing or recording over regions, the problem was most evident when QuickPunching over existing regions.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Make sure that you have installed the latest cs update for 7.3.1 cs6

This sounds related to this bug:

Fixes Included from Pro Tools HD 7.3.1cs3

Fixed: Random Disappearance or Corruption of Regions On Tracks When Editing Or Punching In (Item #85976)
Although this could occur while editing or recording over regions, the problem was most evident when QuickPunching over existing regions.
I think it is a different bug. I saw that one too, several times I lost the previous region when quickpunching on it.
The QP monitoring bug is different, you do not loose anything, just the old take is monitored while the new one is recorded (well, you obviously loose the performance of the voice actor..)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 AM

here's the link to a previous thread:

Record Punch Problem: Hear old take/Record new take
Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 AM

It happened again yesterday using 7.4 cs5 on my HD system, just one time. record 1 track, play 1 track + video (different drive).
Been quite lucky on that system though through all the cs'es, very rarely running into it.

I have it pretty frequently with a VO company that I work at sometimes, they use 7.3.1csX and record to a RAID system (don't know the brand). They have -9073 also, but by far not as often as the monitoring bug.

Anybody having it?
I'm really interested in tracking this bug, as it's such an embarrassing one even if very occasional.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 AM

We're using 7.4 cs4 and we are having Destructive Punch issues with punching in. It sounds like a similar problem.

We punch in on a track, see the red area that is recording, see the new modulation, but when we playback, hear the old audio that you thought you punched over. If we zoom in at a certain zoom level the old modulation shows up to the point of being able to toggle with zoom ( R and T ) old and new modulation but only hearing the old audio. We even punched in with a -20 1k tone and saw the tone in the modulation, but heard the dialog we punched over????

For us the trick that seemed to fix this is trashing the wavecache.wfm file in the session folder as well as trashing databases/volumes/prefs.

This cost us quite a lot of time recently when we realized that we couldn't trust punching in on Destructive Punch. Very scary!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Well I've upgraded to 7.4 and I don't have the problem anymore under quick punch as far as I can see...yet. I DO however have the bloody annoying fades in the background error.

Overall though things work and I've not been fired or anything!

J
Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 AM

Default yes...bug

this happens about once a week...with 7.4 as well. bug