Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Default 002r burning powerbook mobos?

Hi people, I dont know for certain yet, but this is what happened.
I have a 002r, 2 g3 powerbooks and a dual g5. I use either of the powerbooks alternatively for location tracking. They have been flawless for the las 5 years (they are 11 yrs old but I bought them used).
Lately I got a low cpu power message and switched from 512 to 1024 samples buffer and got the multilingual apple message asking to restart.
After this, the powerbook (with no interface connected) shows a problem where it will take several reboots or power plug reseats in order to finally boot up. It is an intermitent cpu or mobo failure.
Now the other powerbook crashed with a low cpu power message on a 20 track foley sesion and it is showing the same problem. It will sometimes work, sometimes not. I am afraid the 002 is rendering the powerbooks unusable. Not too concerned about the macs, as they are quite old, but I cant buy a macbook pro just to try and see if the 002 fries it.
Any suggestions on how to proceed are welcome.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Pepo
Old 01-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Default Re: 002r burning powerbook mobos?

So I guess nobody had this problem ever... I remember having read about it some time ago but it seems my rig is so old that nobody cares to comment.
Pepo
Old 01-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepo View Post
So I guess nobody had this problem ever... I remember having read about it some time ago but it seems my rig is so old that nobody cares to comment.
Pepo
That's about right... as you said, 11 year old notebook. The fact that they lasted this long is a testament to their build quality, but ultimately... there's not going to be any way to prove that the 002 is problem here. Even as a refurb, the powerbook in question is a relic fit for museums, and is less powerful than the cell phone in your pocket.

I've had an 002/003 plugged into my Macbook Pro many many times with no dramas, as I'm sure many others here have. I've never heard of one doing any damage unless perhaps you are hotplugging on a regular basis.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 AM

Well, power here has nothing to do. For location or live recording, you will agree reliability is the main concern. They can use two internal drives so if one goes bad you can still boot from the other. Also I dont see why they would go to a museum when they are still good for the job.
I used them with other 002 for five years and now I switched to this newer 002 (dont ask me why) and in one week I got two powerbooks half fried. I agree they are old, but they dont go bad all at the same time.
Im quite certain I can burn yet another machine but that would be a very stupid way to prove I am right so I better remain wrong.
Pepo
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Borrow a friends powerbook and test it.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CisumBlue View Post
Borrow a friends powerbook and test it.
When hes not looking

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepo View Post
Well, power here has nothing to do. For location or live recording, you will agree reliability is the main concern. They can use two internal drives so if one goes bad you can still boot from the other. Also I dont see why they would go to a museum when they are still good for the job.
I used them with other 002 for five years and now I switched to this newer 002 (dont ask me why) and in one week I got two powerbooks half fried. I agree they are old, but they dont go bad all at the same time.
Im quite certain I can burn yet another machine but that would be a very stupid way to prove I am right so I better remain wrong.
Pepo
An 11 year old notebook is like a 90 year old person. If they are still kickin... they won't be for much longer. All notebooks will eventually fail with extended use. Small, tightly packed form fitting parts constantly straining under heat and being moved around. This is not nearly the same kind of environment as a desktop. Again, the fact that you had been able to use your powerbooks reliably for so long is a testament to their build quality. Most laptops don't make it past 3 years. Consider yourself lucky they lasted as long as they did... and invest in something newer.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 PM

You dont understand, I am not saying I dont want to buy a new one. What I am saying is that if I am right in my suspicion, I could burn yet another machine. This is what I am saying from the first post, I can not just go and buy a macbook pro to see if it burns or not. Why I fear this? Very simple, both of my powerbooks fried after a protools crash, the same week.
So there are two ways you can help me (instead of telling me that my computers are old, wich is obvious):
1. Tell me a way to be certain about the condition of my 002r that does not include atempting to kill a working machine.
2. Tell me if any of you had a problem similar to this one and what was your solution.
Thank you
pepo