Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 10-12-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Quad core Xeon Mobos?

All,

Did a search.... cant find a quick answer to an mobo that would be compatable with HD2(PCI) and run 2 Dual core Xeons... just like a MacPro.

Any model numbers handy?

Thanks,
S0nguy
Old 10-13-2006, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Quad core Xeon Mobos?

All,

This doesnt seem to be a hot topic. Should I wait until the dual Quads come out? Apparently they will be out sometime at teh end of the year.

-S0nguy
Old 10-13-2006, 10:27 AM

Actually, the new Quad core processors should be same pin as the dual cores out now, like in the Mac Pro (Woodcrest). I think the problem may be finding a motherboard with 2 or more PCI/PCI-X slots that has a chipset that will work with PT and the HD cards. Trailerman has a thread where he is having issues with PCI (non-PCIe) boards for his HD4 Accel. I have a bad feeling this is going to be the wave to come...thus pushing users to find the last surviving boards capable of only an HD2 at most with PCI.

Hopefully I will be very wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:07 PM

The Tyan X7DAE-0 seems to handle tow pcix 0r pci cards fo HD 2 Pci na 2 dual or quadcore 5000 0r 100 series processors.

I'm struggling to determine intel or amd.

Nikki-K you're on MAC Pro, whats your take on the Mac and did you Purchase HD Core or HD2??

Thank You
Old 10-13-2006, 10:39 PM

Bought the Mac Pro and HD2 Accel. Tons of power, really happy. Only using XP for a gaming computer now. Would like to see Vista in action onc eit is out and sorted...but I doubt I would jump back.
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 AM

So......I typed that motherboard model in and got some weird results.

What is the fastest PC, XEON based that we are going to be able to build that will accomodate an HD2 (PCI)?

-S0nguy
Old 10-17-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
So......I typed that motherboard model in and got some weird results.

What is the fastest PC, XEON based that we are going to be able to build that will accomodate an HD2 (PCI)?

-S0nguy
Once PCIe is supported on XP, I would wait just a tiny it longer if possible. The new Quad-cores will be out. Even if that is overkill, it will bring down the price of Woodcrest even more I would think. Irregardless, having the option to upgrade to a quad-core would be nice I would think.

Also, the prime thing about the PCIe version of HD is that the Core is an Accel core.

On a side note- it is actually kinda funny, yet sad at the same time: firing up this rig, I watched DSP chips get eaten on the Accel Core and Accel process card; yet the Mac Pro took forever to bog down. If I stay away from high-drw virtual instruments, it would take a ridiculously HUGE session to even make the machine flinch...XP on a similarly outfitted machine is the same... So funny how a couple years can make Accel look...err...underpowered...extremely underpowered...
Quote:
Old 10-17-2006, 01:42 PM

Nikki,

As always thanks for your response...

I dont want to upgrade my cards. Plain and simple. But my PC is getting a bit slow when I use lots of VIs. I'll move over when PT makes a substantial card upgrade. Accel core isnt it in my opinion.

I really could use somethign in the interim.

-S0nguy
Old 10-17-2006, 02:43 PM

Why not just use the supportted xw9300. You can put dual dual opterons in and it can run a HD 3 with no problems. Really fast computer.
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-17-2006, 08:44 PM

That's a good idea.... I guess I'm just the type of guy who build his Pcs. I mean... if I buy the HP what will I do with my 250 dollars water cooling kit?!!?

Now, if I could buy the motherboard and processors out of the HP or the Dell 670, that would be nice. I already have raptors and all teh other goodies..

-S0nguy