Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Shut up and take my money!!...

I was checking my personal daily deals when I saw the banner on the front page (way before the newsletter was sent) so I had time to watch the videos, download the demo and make a quick review. Yesterday I wasn't so convinced but today it looks more and more appealing... and you guys aren't helping much
Old 10-17-2018, 02:18 PM

After about 2 hours of demoing this thing I was ready to bin it. I took some sessions I'd done last year for a cover of DSOTM and plopped this on my 2-bus, alternating in front of or after the Waves J37. Crunchy didn't begin to describe the sound even though the metering wasn't showing anything being overdriven. Then I ran into a thread over on Gearslutz where someone posted about lowering the input level a lot (he didn't say what was meant by 'a lot'). Is this beast really that sensitive to input levels? Just like the Kramer Master Tape?

Something else that drives me nuts is the ratio control. It doesn't act like the normal ratio from any other compressor I know of. Read the manual description of the control and still have trouble wrapping my head around what it's supposed to accomplish other than the fact that when I turn it up to 100 the output gets softer.

QAPLA!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 PM

Same here, the approach to add level is different to what I was used to. I've tried driving the Limiter with the Input section and it works pretty well; another way could be to use ratio and mix to establish a stable "ceiling" then use Make up to move it close to 0db. I don't know how this plugin handles red peaks but they state that this is by no means a brickwall limiter so I wouldn't be confortable without an extra plugin after. I would love to see how the engineers from Abbey Road do it.
Anyway you use it it will add its color, but I don't find it too much really, I just had to get used to moving the controls more carefully because a bit can change the sound a lot.

If you decide to buy you can use my 10% discount link: https://www.waves.com/r/xhwkze
Old 10-17-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::F-L-E-X:: View Post
They took my money (again) already...

First impressions - sounds sweet, & although no substitute for the real thing, will still be infinitely usable.

Only gripes... wish the GUI was bigger, (& AU performance sucks)!
How much of a pig is this plug in?

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 10-17-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
How much of a pig is this plug in?
Not the worst, it runs pretty smooth on my system but it introduces a lot of latency, combined with other linear phase plugins can turn red the ADC really easy.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Same here, the approach to add level is different to what I was used to. I've tried driving the Limiter with the Input section and it works pretty well; another way could be to use ratio and mix to establish a stable "ceiling" then use Make up to move it close to 0db. I don't know how this plugin handles red peaks but they state that this is by no means a brickwall limiter so I wouldn't be confortable without an extra plugin after. I would love to see how the engineers from Abbey Road do it.
Anyway you use it it will add its color, but I don't find it too much really, I just had to get used to moving the controls more carefully because a bit can change the sound a lot.

If you decide to buy you can use my 10% discount link: https://www.waves.com/r/xhwkze
Thanks and will keep that in mind. I can't do anything until late tomorrow due to family commitments but right now it looks like a buy. Will your code work at Audio Deluxe?

I spent some more time before dinner working with it in conjunction with J37 (both before J37 and after) and found that dropping the input to J37 to zero and output to about -5 before going into TG or dropping the input fader in TG to about -5 and unity in and out on J37 smoothed out the sound on those DSOTM cover sessions I did last year. More when I know more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Not the worst, it runs pretty smooth on my system but it introduces a lot of latency, combined with other linear phase plugins can turn red the ADC really easy.
I was surprised it has 8036 samples latency on my system. That's getting up into UAD territory. With those numbers do I really want to try this on some auxes but not others and not get weirdness happening? Or should I just slap it on everything and use the default null values on the auxes I don't need it to do anything? I know PT should be able to handle it but don't want to leave things to chance.

QAPLA!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:08 PM

I tested it on instrument groups yesterday with no issues, I'm fact the smooth nature of the modules is perfect for stem processing, the EQ works great on electric bass, the spreader (which is simply a balance control between the mid and sides) is nice for guitars and the filters work everywhere. You can just leave off the modules you won't use but I don't think that will save CPU. I'll end up getting it because I need a good Mastering EQ that works in MS and for the filter module.

The link takes you to the Waves website.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:47 AM

The phase control at the bottom of the input module - is that supposed to be just 3 discrete steps - minus, neutral and plus? Or is it supposed to be variable?

Something I'm surprised Waves didn't do is what they did with some of the other AR plugs like REDD and TG12345 where depending on where you grab the frequency knob you're not bound to the discrete steps on the panel but continuously variable.

QAPLA!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:07 AM

Don't forget, using this e-z p-z sound grid promo
You can get 50% off, up to $50, on the bundle upgrade;
or 25% off a single plug.

I just updated my Abbey Road collection
With the three newbies for 40 bucks…
e
Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 AM

I passed on this one. Still waiting for Talent Boost plugin.........

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave