Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-20-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Very strange crippling CPU errors

I'm seeing this on two setups: Native 12.7 HD_OSX 10.12.2 / 11.3.2 HD_OSX 10.10.5 - Mac Pro 2012 12-Core 2.4GHz RAM 48GB

I updated Kontakt to 5.6.5 because Metro Ark won't load in anything else and I have all their horns loaded in my template. This session has almost no mixing plugs yet so mostly Kontakt for now. I'm getting stuck CPU spikes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn9u0dugxh...rrors.png?dl=0

Even stranger the spike doesn't change even after making all Kontakts inactive and even stranger the red spikes continue even after the session is closed and I have to shutdown the computer to get the session to load without crashing.

Any ideas? In my 15+ years using PT I've never seen anything like this
Old 02-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Very strange crippling CPU errors

I don't know what you mean by "stuck CPU spike" or exactly what you are trying to show with the screen shot.

What playback engine? What sample rate? What IO buffer size?

The first actions you need to take with CPU problems are always:

1. Trash prefs
2. Systematically remove plugin files from the plugin folder and try to isolate if/what plugins are causing this. (not making plugins "inactive" actually remove them from the plugin folder and restart Pro Tools).

And if you isolate this down to say Kontakt then followup with customer support at that vendor.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What playback engine? What sample rate? What IO buffer size?
HD Native, 48k 32bit float , 1024 Buffer, Ignore Errors checked, DPP checked, Video Engine OFF (for now)

The only thing that changed. Updated Kontakt, installed a few new libraries and moved all samples to a hybrid SSD drive: http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard...FQYJaQodRUQIuQ

Definitely familiar with trashing prefs and moving plugins. Avid has been inside this machine remotely for other issues and they reached out to me as a composer to be a beta tester. This seems so odd to me. Thanks for the help
Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 PM

Right so suspect the Kontakt plugins and start doing that troubleshooting.

Always suspect the plugins.

---

I would probably not put samples on a hybrid HDD. Hopefully that's a 7200 RPM drive. In this day and age for streaming samples (like Kontakt) in particular I'd try put them on a real SSD.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Right so suspect the Kontakt plugins and start doing that troubleshooting.

Always suspect the plugins.

---

I would probably not put samples on a hybrid HDD. Hopefully that's a 7200 RPM drive. In this day and age for streaming samples (like Kontakt) in particular I'd try put them on a real SSD.
I did think twice when buying that drive. My system drive is SSD Samsung Pro. I pulled every plug other then Kontakt and have been testing. The hybrid drive is faster then 7200 RPM. I needed more then 2TB the SSD can be very pricy when needing a lot of space but if solves problems it's definitely worth it.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
I did think twice when buying that drive. My system drive is SSD Samsung Pro. I pulled every plug other then Kontakt and have been testing. The hybrid drive is faster then 7200 RPM. I needed more then 2TB the SSD can be very pricy when needing a lot of space but if solves problems it's definitely worth it.
I think the drive is not relevant here, the plugin/software is your suspect. I just love the performance of SSDs. The 2TB and 4TB Samsung 850 Evo drives are interesting and going to keep falling in price, and PCIe/NVMe keeps getting cheaper so all this SATA stuff just goes away.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I think the drive is not relevant here, the plugin/software is your suspect. I just love the performance of SSDs. The 2TB and 4TB Samsung 850 Evo drives are interesting and going to keep falling in price, and PCIe/NVMe keeps getting cheaper so all this SATA stuff just goes away.
I personally like to have multiple clones of every drive ready to go. System drive, Samples, Sessions, Video... That's a lot off space! lol

Oddly. I started moving essentials back, first other then Kontakt, Slate... Session crashed when loading. I've never had an issue with Slate. maybe it's the Slate plugins on the master out. VMR for buss summing, VBC and Tape, haven't had an issue yet but this is my largest orchestral template to date.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 AM

I put my guess in slate. The code is buggy imo. Always has caused crashes. But I still use it. It's not that bad most times. Sounds awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 12:15 PM

The Slate "code is buggy..."

I've been using Slate plugins since they came out. I've never had any issues with them and I work with them for hours, every day. I have the Everything Bundle and use pretty much everything... I would far more likely suspect Kontact. NI plugins are (really) known to be buggy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 02-21-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
The Slate "code is buggy..."

I've been using Slate plugins since they came out. I've never had any issues with them and I work with them for hours, every day. I have the Everything Bundle and use pretty much everything... I would far more likely suspect Kontact. NI plugins are (really) known to be buggy.
I also use slate for years and have every single plug. The plugs cause weird crashes. So does NI kontact as I use Komplete and Maschin as well. I'd say right now I point my finger still at slate.

And stop with the eye rolling lol. It's the master buss slate plugs he is using. Happens all the time to people.

Personally I run vmr and vtr on every single track. 75 to 120 tracks. But sometimes one instance of fgx sends it all down. But a restart fixes it.

Sony Oxford never crashes a session. Never. Slate? Pretty much 2nd tier as far as stability.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk