Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools placing sound EARLY??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
But, that only works for the click. All other recorded tracks are sounding before the click in that case.

It's better to create a pre-master auxiliar track where everything goes instead of the real master (monitors) track, and to insert the time adjuster right in that pre-master aux, that way you can delay everything in the mix at one time including your click, and, every new recorded take will be on grid as long as you have the right value on the time adjuster plugin.
But the problem for me is that VISUALLY it doesn't land on the grid either. So by delaying the click, when I record I'm actually playing behind where the "real click" should be, so that when I hit playback if I get rid of the time adjuster, the audio I recorded physically lands on the grid... visually and audibly. If I do what you suggested, sure everything will SOUND like it's on the grid, but visually you'll notice that every transient is still ahead of the grid.
SIIG FireWire Express Card
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE
Digi003 Rack || PreSonus D8 || ART MPA Gold || ART PRO VLA II || Ensoniq DP/2
M-Audio Axiom 49 || Behringer BCF2000
Yamaha HS50Ms

Bands: Captain Starr || stereoINs
Drums: 1 || 2 || 3
Guitars: 1 || 2 || 3
Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Is there some confusion as to the nature of this issue? It is not resolved in any way by reducing buffer size. In all tests the recorded audio is place early in the timeline regardless of buffer size. At this point the only fix is going back to 8.0.1 in XP or 8.0.3 in W7. This is not about monitor latency in the headphone cue.
Well you're right - when I was testing it I was using a mic across the room so maybe the amount of time ot took for the signal to reach the mic was making up for the pre-latency, I don't know. But when I put the mic right up to the monitor I got the exact results described by everyone else.

Anyway, I uninstalled the 64-bit drivers that came with the 8.0.4 update and installed the beta drivers. So to clarify I'm using 8.0.4 software with the 64-bit beta drivers and when I run the tests, the pre-latency issue is gone. At all buffer settings, the miked click is about 280 samples behind the click on the first audio track, which I'm guessing is normal. I'm just wondering if anyone can duplicate these results, and is there any reason I shouldn't use this workaround and just go back to 8.0.3??

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-08-2010, 12:20 PM

In our tests, using the 8.0.4 beta driver with 8.0.4 was an improvement but not as good a solution as with 8.0.3 with the same beta driver. With the 8.0.4 beta driver and 8.0.4 the material was recorded a little late. With the 8.0.4 beta driver and 8.0.3 the audio is nearly spot on.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-08-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
In our tests, using the 8.0.4 beta driver with 8.0.4 was an improvement but not as good a solution as with 8.0.3 with the same beta driver. With the 8.0.4 beta driver and 8.0.4 the material was recorded a little late. With the 8.0.4 beta driver and 8.0.3 the audio is spot on.
Yeah that's what I'm experiencing exactly. Sorry I haven't had time to read through this whole thread. Damn, I guess this problem is across the board. You know, when you go to make a recording program - it's kinda important for the audio to be in synch with the other tracks!!!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
Correct, Sir.
Mike.
Thanks Mike for the re-affirm on 8.0.3cs2 regarding early placement.

Lou
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
In our tests, using the 8.0.4 beta driver with 8.0.4 was an improvement but not as good a solution as with 8.0.3 with the same beta driver. With the 8.0.4 beta driver and 8.0.4 the material was recorded a little late. With the 8.0.4 beta driver and 8.0.3 the audio is spot on.
So it appears that the best solution for Win7 64-bit systems is 8.0.3 with the 8.0.4 beta driver. I would just like some clarification on the best way for me to set this up. Currently I have 8.0.4 with the 8.0.4 release drivers.

Do I need to completely uninstall Pro Tools like it was never there including any digi database folders/files? What about plugins and 3rd party options?

When I'm installing 8.0.3 I'm guessing I should NOT connect the Mbox Mini when prompted and then install the 8.0.4 beta drivers afterwards, connecting the Mbox Mini when the driver installation asks for it?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikDraw View Post

Do I need to completely uninstall Pro Tools like it was never there including any digi database folders/files? What about plugins and 3rd party options?
Yes. I don't know that you have much of a choice anyway. I didn't delete any databases or preferences though it's not a bad idea. You shouldn't have to reinstall 3rd party plugins.

Quote:

When I'm installing 8.0.3 I'm guessing I should NOT connect the Mbox Mini when prompted and then install the 8.0.4 beta drivers afterwards, connecting the Mbox Mini when the driver installation asks for it?
I believe so though I don't own an MBox.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
Old 10-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Whoa...QuickDraw makes a guest appearance after....? years? Or I'm not on the sections of the forum he is. Whatever, welcome back!

For people on XP I tried a test today with 8.0.4. I only record one voice track at a time so this may or may not be relevant to the issue of early placement, but I'll pass this along anyway:

XP SP3 updated as of Sunday October 3, 2010
Athlon 64 X2 processor
2 gb of RAM
002 Rack
Approved ADS Pyro FireWire Card
Pro Tools LE 8.0.4
Waves Diamond v7r14
Buffer at 1024

Just as a test on the Audio Track (delay 213): H-Delay. Doubler4, PuigTCMEQ5 and L1

Regular Plug-Ins on the Master (delay 128): RenDeEsser, C1 Compressor, TrueVerb and LL-3 Ultra

I recorded my mic through my Grace into Analogue 5.

There was no early - or late - placement of the audio.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
So it appears...

Where have you been hiding for the past 6 years or so?

Welcome back.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Whoa...QuickDraw makes a guest appearance after....? years? Or I'm not on the sections of the forum he is. Whatever, welcome back!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Where have you been hiding for the past 6 years or so?

Welcome back.

Shane
I haven't had much of a chance to do much recording in the past few years (still don't really). Went to college, started a new career... Anyway, my P4 Digi001 system died, and I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to open my old sessions, so I bought a MBox Mini just so I could have Pro Tools working again. After 6 years it feels like I'm just getting started all over again. Things that used to be second nature I have to figure out like I've never seen Pro Tools before! Plus, the last version I saw was PTLE 6. A lot has changed. All for the better I think, except for this timing issue.