Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 12-31-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Configuring audio drives

I wanted to see what the best way to configure 2 or more audio drive would be? I have 2 internal WD Raptors right now. Is it good to round robin them? Should I keep them seperate?

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 12-31-2004, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Configuring audio drives

Anyone? No one has multiple audio drives on their systems?

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 01-01-2005, 03:16 AM

I personally never use "round Robin allocation" I just like all my audio to be in 1 place for each related session.

I've got 3 drives and a DVD burner on my IDE chain, 2 Drives on my SATA controllers, and a firewire drive that I work off of.

That's 6 drives on the system.

No real "configuration tips" for hard drives, make sure they are hooked up right, with the right Pin configurations, check to be sure they are all running in DMA mode in windows, and Keep em defragged.

Now, if you're mixing, recording "BIG SESSIONS" like 50, 80+ tracks, you will want to split the audio between 2 or more drives, other then that, you should be set.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 01-01-2005, 03:32 AM

Quote:
mixing, recording "BIG SESSIONS" like 50, 80+ tracks, you will want to split the audio between 2 or more drives
That's what I'm talking about, what recommended for this? Is there away to assign track to a specific hard drive?

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 01-01-2005, 01:12 PM

Absolutely, in your "Disk Allocation Dialog" of each session.

If you specify your C drive as "Transfer ONLY" in the Workspace Window of pro-tools, (this again is ver 6+) and select "round robin allocation", in your "Disk Allo9cation" dialog your session will create folders on all available drives, with your session name, and automaticly spread all recorded audio between the folders.

If you'd like more control over "what Goes Where" you can, create your own folders on each drive, (ie.. My Session 1) and (My session 2) on the other drive, and in the same dialog (Setups <--Disk Allocation) you can specify where the audio for each track of your session goes.

Something I DO use this feature for is... If I know I'm going to take a lot of passes of beds, on multiple playlists, I'll create a session directory structure inside my audio files folder.

a drums folder, guitars, ghosts, Bass & Keys etc.... to make it easier to backup onto DVD.

you can put folders anywhere, on any drive, in this dialog.

If you don't want to bother with manual allocation, and are going to use round robbin allocation, I reccomend setting your C drive to "Transfer" as mentioned above, in the Windows <--Workspace dialog, change the "R" under the "A" column to a "T" on your C drive Row.

I hope THIS helped

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control