Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 PM

Default Miscellaneous Pro Tools First Questions

How do i Update my Pro Tools First? According to my Avid Application Manager Pro Tools First is on version 12.3.1. I'd like to update it, partially because i just purchased the monthly 5 dollar Avid Complete Plugin Bundle and i don't want there to be any compatibility issues. There is no option for me to update it from the Avid Application Manager but i believe the latest version is 12.8.

Why are the upgrades and the plugins not present in my Avid Application Manager? Should they be? And will there be some sort of mixup when I go to download the bundle as I do have some of the various plugins in the bundle such as the Black Op Distortion Pedal and Studio Reverb? Do I have to uninstall everything?

Also, i was wondering if i could purchase the Waves Renaissance De Esser plugin. Would that work with Pro Tools First?

And finally, when songs are exported from Pro Tools First are they automatically dithered?I believe I had a few users tell me the exports ARE automatically dithered so i think they are but i wanted to double check with an actual Avid representative.

Do I or do I not need to insert a dither plugin on the master of a song I am working on in Pro Tools First?

Thank you to any and all that respond. I appreciate it very much.

**EDIT** The Avid Complete Plugin Bundle is also not present in the Avid Application Manager under the "Account" Tab. All I have listed there is Pro Tools First Annual Subscription and "Cloud Support Shell" Monthly Subscription.
Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Focusrite Scarlett Solo Generation 2

Pro Tools First 12.3.1
Old 09-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Pro Tools First only supports plugins purchased through the Avid store, so no Waves plugins of any type. Metric Halo DeEsser is in the store, I assume that works. (But since I don't use First, I have no way of verifying)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-14-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:14 PM

Like real Pro Tools, Pro Tools First Export will dither. Pro Tools First help contains answers to your dither questions. (That it dithers 32-bit float is a waste of time, but oh well, no harm). Make sure you are exporting in the correct format. If you are creating clips to use in other DAWS or to master elsewhere do not export in the final target format, (e.g. 44.1kHz @ 16 bit for CD) if your content is higher resolution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Miscellaneous Pro Tools First Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Pro Tools First only supports plugins purchased through the Avid store, so no Waves plugins of any type. Metric Halo DeEsser is in the store, I assume that works. (But since I don't use First, I have no way of verifying)
Quote:
Like real Pro Tools, Pro Tools First Export will dither. Pro Tools First help contains answers to your dither questions. (That it dithers 32-bit float is a waste of time, but oh well, no harm). Make sure you are exporting in the correct format. If you are creating clips to use in other DAWS or to master elsewhere do not export in the final target format, (e.g. 44.1kHz @ 16 bit for CD) if your content is higher resolution.
Thank you for the quick response! I appreciate that.

Do you or does anybody else have the answers to my other questions ?

Pro Tools First 12.3.1
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Jeffro or other Avid folks are likely the only ones who can help you here if this is anything more than trivial. Hopefully they respond, or just open a support case with Avid. Very few people on DUC use Pro Tools First.

The Application Manager buttware is awfully problematic. The common recommendation with Pro Tools is to uninstall it. I have no idea if that causes problems now or in the future with Pro Tools First. But if I was running Pro Tools First I would certainly try uninstalling the Application Manager (run the app manager uninstaller, documented on DUC in many posts)--just because it is useless software that occasionally causes real problems.

And the obvious question is are there downloads for these products in your Avid account and has a license key for them been delivered to your iLok account? Just install the plugins, you should not need the app manager to do any of that (unless Pro Tools First is really brain dead).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Jeffro or other Avid folks are likely the only ones who can help you here if this is anything more than trivial. Hopefully they respond, or just open a support case with Avid. Very few people on DUC use Pro Tools First.

The Application Manager buttware is awfully problematic. The common recommendation with Pro Tools is to uninstall it. I have no idea if that causes problems now or in the future with Pro Tools First. But if I was running Pro Tools First I would certainly try uninstalling the Application Manager (run the app manager uninstaller, documented on DUC in many posts)--just because it is useless software that occasionally causes real problems.

And the obvious question is are there downloads for these products in your Avid account and has a license key for them been delivered to your iLok account? Just install the plugins, you should not need the app manager to do any of that (unless Pro Tools First is really brain dead).

thank you for your response again. what is the DUC? is that just an Acronym for this forum?

I've opened a support ticket 4 hours ago and i still haven't had a response. i will continue to wait though.

you're saying i should just not use the Application Manager at all? is this common? how does that not cause problems? how do you download your updates if not for the Application Manager?

And yes i have purchased the plugins and they are on my master account. I can just download them and it'll bypass the Avid Application Manager altogether? Why does the Application Manager exist? it seems like it would be really convenient if it could work. i hope the folks at Avid get it working, it's a good idea.

how can i update Pro Tools First? i just downloaded the installer i believe so if i open that and begin installing will it automatically uninstall my older version of Pro Tools First?

Pro Tools First 12.3.1
Old 09-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Yes DUC Digidesign User Forum. Hence the duck photo up top of the forum...

Yes as in suggesting you uninstall the app manager I am suggesting you not use it. I wrote about checking your avid account for software downloads.... did you?

Just download from your Avid account and run the plugin and product installers as needed. You should not need to uninstall Pro Tools First before doing an update. But after each update I would still uninstall the app manager assware. There is provably even install documentation for you to follow, hopefully not all of that assumes only using the app manager.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yes DUC Digidesign User Forum. Hence the duck photo up top of the forum...

Yes as in suggesting you uninstall the app manager I am suggesting you not use it. I wrote about checking your avid account for software downloads.... did you?

Just download from your Avid account and run the plugin and product installers as needed. You should not need to uninstall Pro Tools First before doing an update. But after each update I would still uninstall the app manager assware. There is provably even install documentation for you to follow, hopefully not all of that assumes only using the app manager.

Well i could tell you meant to not use it but i'm curious if this is common and if this causes people problems. I also think the software would be very handy if the bugs were fixed.

I do have the software downloads. I haven't downloaded them yet because I have a version of Pro Tools First that came out before the software bundle came out and, since i'm not super proficient with computers, i didn't want to download it and have it potentially cause a problem and be stuck in a big mess.

The problem is, I don't know how to update Pro Tools. I am on version 12.3.1 and I know the latest Version is 12.8. No Update is present in the Application Manager so I was confused.

If I just download Pro Tools First again and it's 12.8 will it just automatically replace Pro Tools First Version 12.3.1?

**EDIT** Also I already have some of the plugins that are present in the bundle so I don't know if this will now install the same software twice and if that will cause a problem.

Pro Tools First 12.3.1
Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Stop worrying about every damn thing. Just run the installers for the plugins. That was the problem you were trying to solve right?

You are asking questions I have already answered. Read my posts carefully.

For First you should be able to run the general download installer. But since that is not critical to fix any issues right? you can also hold off and you should contact Avid support and find out why you are not getting installers in your account (i am assuming they should be there, and if so they will be the same full install binaries).

As with any software install/update, you need to make sure you have a backup/rollback plan in case there are problems.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Stop worrying about every damn thing. Just run the installers....

You are repeatedly asking questions I have already clearly answered. Read my posts carefully.

eh, you're probably right. don't need to be rude about it tho.

Pro Tools First 12.3.1