Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
That should be framed and hung on the wall of every studio.
My definition of mook: When the power and the talent do not reside in the same person.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The problem I have is that I think the music is suffering seriously. All music is infused with the context of the times.

I'm certain that if you applied the same musicians and work-flow today that we used during the 1960s and '70s, the result would be much more engaging, utterly contemporary music having a completely fresh style. The dehumanization of music that is caused by overdubbing, electronic instruments running presets and headphones is a serious musical problem and really a spiritual issue.
Hmm... interesting..

I see DAW/sequencer apps and almost immediately the first thing that springs to mind is that how I would like the app to "be" is sacrificed for the masses of "music assemblers." I see ads with claims of how much "content" it comes with.. loops, musical phrases, ideas, etc, all pre-made and ready for you to assemble. I get pissed because I feel that those who feel similarly to me are getting the short end of the stick. And I watch a few minutes of American Idol.. or watch MTV for a few songs (the rare times they play music).. or spend time in someone's car who listens to the radio.. etc. I see kids behaving like they think they should, pushing the boundaries of bravado and sexual inuendo.. And I wonder how anyone can actually think of this as evolution; maybe Devo had it right all along? Artists include performers and writers, teamed for financial gain. "Pop Art." I recall the part in the movie "Amedeus" when Mozart is asked to help produce musical theater for the people.. something to celebrate.. to sing with. I look back at my early years with radio controlled (primarily) by Mom and Dad.. the 70's "AM Gold." Is today much different? Maybe more saturated.. so much sugar you want to throw-up.

And then I see a friend's kids who I helped care for on and off over the years. I see musical ability that eclipses mine. I see creativity bloom. I see some of their friends are doing the same, and yet others going the path of my previous bit of diatribe. And I realize I can leave my radio off. Finding new music that I love is much the same as it was 20-30 years ago for me. The radio had little for me then.

Today, everything is instant.. automatic.. saturated and over-filled. Super-sized. When I go out to eat, I find it difficult to find a meal that is properly portioned. Yes, it can suck to be me But, I also realize and have seen that there are those who feel like I do, and they are of all ages. I have been to a jazz club and seen a 13 year old kid just wail on a sax, and drop jaws each night his parents bring him out. I have seen a blind kid of 16 do the same on a piano.. and then on trumpet. Maybe it is a bit harder to tune out that which we do not care for today. Maybe age contributes as well. But, my world has broadened, and I have had to learn how to fine tune my filtering, and when to simply shrug and go enjoy the day.. or night

To each their own. At least I have my own world. Hopefully it will last as long as I do in this mortal coil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Hmm... interesting..
Is it like what you're talking about?
Old 05-14-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
...This is exactly why consoles remain popular, you don't have to look at the damned thing and can concentrate on how your mix is affecting the performer while your fingers take care of business.
+1 billion!!

Another big downfall from the DAW is "looking" at he music instead of "listening" to the music. Once recording started to become "visual" via the DAW, things started to go downhill a tad.

"That snare hit doesn't look right on those grid lines...lets "fix" it."

"That vocal line is slightly off that horizontal pitch graph, let's "fix" it."

Elastic Audio?? What the h*ll...isnt that taking it a bit too far?

I think many need to go back and "listen" to the monitors instead of "looking" at the monitors. Pun intended. Computer monitors should be banned from all recording studios. Keep them at reception and in the office where they belong.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-14-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Like maybe we could all play in the same room at the same time? Make eye contact and interact musically.... Make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. As opposed to concentrating on the parts themselves?
You mean like this?

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741

It think it comes down to having great musicians, engineers, and producers who make the music (not fame, money, accolades) come first. Great music takes great effort.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erthquake View Post
You mean like this?

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741

It think it comes down to having great musicians, engineers, and producers who make the music (not fame, money, accolades) come first. Great music takes great effort.

That was excellent! Good song too!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
Is it like what you're talking about?
That was cool... She's got a great voice as well...

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
That was cool... She's got a great voice as well...
Yeah, I love it: it ain't "huge" it's just "great" enough, isnt' it?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
Yeah, I love it: it ain't "huge" it's just "great" enough, isnt' it?
It's really refreshing, in a way, to see how they did it.. relying on cleverness and talent..

I liked it well enough I went to iTunes and bought the cd...

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
+1 billion!!

Another big downfall from the DAW is "looking" at he music instead of "listening" to the music. Once recording started to become "visual" via the DAW, things started to go downhill a tad.

"That snare hit doesn't look right on those grid lines...lets "fix" it."

"That vocal line is slightly off that horizontal pitch graph, let's "fix" it."

Elastic Audio?? What the h*ll...isnt that taking it a bit too far?

I think many need to go back and "listen" to the monitors instead of "looking" at the monitors. Pun intended. Computer monitors should be banned from all recording studios. Keep them at reception and in the office where they belong.

Shane
Now I agree to some degree with some of what you are saying, but it seems odd to me that you hang out in a pro tools forum talking about how great propellerhead is and how bad pro tools is and how its bad to look at computer monitors while recording music. It seems an unlikely place to find common ground in a pro tools forum when one doesn't want to look at a computer monitor while recording and editing music.