Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2005, 04:59 PM

Default vst/rtas adaptor update will be 49usd when....

released........So I'd like to know what other people think of this. Am I the only one who feels slighted by this considering the current version has had many known issues, AND fxpansion has been promising an update for at least 6 months........

If it will make vst's work properly with pt, I'm gonna have to do for obvious reasons, but I think that amount is too high, and we've been waiting for a long time to use vsts the way they were meant to be used in pt............what do ya'awl think?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: vst/rtas adaptor update will be 49usd when....

I think it was too cheap to begin with.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-19-2005, 01:05 AM

Maybe so, but I think that 49 is a bit steep for that particular update. Seems that Fxpansion are just taking advantage of customers that have no choice but to pay up. Rather like Waves?

We can do some simple arithmetic here: how may users will buy the upgrade?

And how much was the likely cost of tweaking the wrapper?

Anyone know?

And do Digi have much say in the price that fxpansion set?

(moan, moan, moan )
Old 11-19-2005, 05:09 AM

Hold on...
Quote:
Rail, how can anything be 'too cheap'?

Or is this a very dry joke and I've been suckered (again )
Old 11-19-2005, 09:22 AM
FXpansion Audio

Eyeknow - what do you consider to be the main issues in VST-RTAS v1.06?

The main things we know about are a handful of plug-ins with GUI problems, a couple of Steinberg plug-ins with installer problems (of Steinberg's own making, not ours!), and the "latency problem" with Powercore and UAD-1 plugins (which we can do nothing about; Digi could, but why should they when it would hurt their TDM sales?).

Another thing you have to bear in mind is, unlike with RTAS which is a closed system, any idiot can write a VST plug-in and any idiot frequently does! So it's impossible to guarantee compatibility 100% -- we try to accommodate for the dumb and broken things that VST developers do, but we need cooperation from the developers themselves.

In any case, the v2 update is far more than just a "tweak" -- it has a new plug-in manager, support for multiple outputs and the PT7 RTAS optimizations (which was quite a bit of work, esp. on the mac), a "crash proof" scanner -- it's impossible now for a bad plug-in to kill the scanning procedure -- and a bunch of other improvements under-the-hood.

As to $49 being "too much" -- quite frankly, it's not commercially viable to do it for less. And, may I ask, what exactly are we and other small 3rd party devs supposed to do when large outfits like Digi, Apple or Microsoft create a bunch of extra work for us with their system upgrades? The idea that the large companies should be able to profit from their upgrades, but the smaller ones should be expected to do any catch-up work free of charge, seems grossly unfair to me.

BTW, Karel.. seeing as how you live in "a rather posh bit" of London, $49 (£25ish) isn't even the price of a round of drinks or a bottle of decent whisky! If you don't like the upgrade fee, I'm sure the FXpansion crew would gladly accept payment in beer and/or cocktails instead

*hic!*

Best regards,
Angus.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:48 AM

Angus, will the V2 of the VST wrapper include support for, or fix the problem with the Lexicon MX200?

Home/mobile: Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Focusrite Red 8Pre / Protools HD Native 2018.10 Ultimate
Old 11-19-2005, 12:06 PM

I think it all depends on when you bought the program. In my opinion if you bought the program within a year of the updates release it should be a free upgrade.
Too many companies try to stick you after the 30 days. Right now my respect goes to propellerheads; For one; they need no ILOK technology; the user experience is hassle free (downtime is virtually non existant) and they have been very fair with their upgrades; They charged for 2.0 - 2.5 then 3.0; they don't charge you for the interim upgrades or optimizations.! Thats taking pride in your product and satisfying the end user that will be a customer for life!
If the Vst/Rtas adaptor update is an optimization update along with new added features then I think its worth the price of admission for those who are upgrading.
So far there is no regulation for this sort of thing and the end user is paying a dear price. I'd write my local congressman along with others who feel that they are being charged unfairly for updates and that there should be clear documentation as to whether or not you have to pay for optimization/interim updates and whether or not they will charge you because of the upgrading of host software that does not specify in detail whether or not the current software you are using will work or not. A blanket statement saying your software could or could not work should be illegal and reported.
Too many of you stay quiet and need to speak up for this to stop and for it to be REGULATED! Look at what happened to MIcrosoft when they decided to investigate!
Old 11-19-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Hold on...
Quote:
Rail, how can anything be 'too cheap'?

Or is this a very dry joke and I've been suckered (again )
It was a joke.. the price is $99 (or less).. and gives you excellent value for money. They could have easily sold it for twice that.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-19-2005, 03:18 PM

Angus, I stand corrected. Clearly you've done more than a tweak, and if it's as you describe you are actually deserving of praise. Now I stop to think about it, your potential customer base for this item isn't really very big at all. And once I've got PT7 up and running, I'll be happy to pay the £25-ish for the upgrade! And yes indeed, if I ever bump into you at a trade show, I'd also be happy to buy you a drink!

However I do agree with eyeknow about one thing - VST plug-in capability really is something that should come as standard in PT, even if it pushes the price up a notch. The same with MP3 output - the option for which I still haven't got working properly yet.

So Rail, are there any other things in life you might also regard as being a bit too cheap? like, maybe if we had to pay for fresh air we'd appreciate it a bit more...
Old 11-19-2005, 05:03 PM

We all pay for the fresh air, its the bill doesnt say its for th air.
I do agree with angus, it appears there's quite an addition they've made for the wrapper.