Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Switching Monitors/Speakers on and off

I am fairly new to using pro tools so forgive me for the simpleton question but can someone explain how to set it up so i can turn my monitors/speakers on and off? Right now I am turning the volume knobs up on monitors/speakers up when I am listening to play back and turning them down when i am recording to avoid feedback of mics through speakers. I am using MBox Pro.
Believe it or not i have looked for the answer to this and can not find it. Thanks
Old 08-02-2018, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Switching Monitors/Speakers on and off

Hi, Doesn't the MBox Pro have a master volume control along with a mute switch? That would be the best method in my opinion without buying extra gear. You can also control the volume in Pro Tools with an Aux or Master Fader if you can set up a Cue mix you can hear over headphones when recording.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 08-03-2018, 08:09 AM

The front of the MBox Pro has a speaker button. When I press it does nothing. The light goes on and off but it doesn’t turn speakers on and off. Is that what it is supposed to do? Turn them on and off? Anyone?
I just read the manual too and had a hard time understanding exactly what that button is supposed to do.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:02 AM

I suspect you are using the incorrect output jacks because the Mbox has a volume knob for output(the big knob on the right assuming gen 3 Mbox Pro)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-03-2018, 05:12 PM

okay yeah i suppose it is easy enough to just turn the knob down but i was hoping for a way to actually disable the speaker entirely. I feel like even though the knob is down all the way it could be sending a signal through mic which can create some interference but I may be overthinking it and as long as knob is down maybe that is good enough. Will try this.

Also yeah there is a dim/mute button and a speaker button which i am guessing is supposed to mute the speakers and turn them on and off respectively but these are not working and have never worked for me. Neither is one of my headphone jacks. Maybe i have a faulty unit.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1234 View Post

Also yeah there is a dim/mute button and a speaker button which i am guessing is supposed to mute the speakers and turn them on and off respectively but these are not working and have never worked for me. Neither is one of my headphone jacks. Maybe i have a faulty unit.
This is why I think you might be using the incorrect outputs for your mains(the knob and mute button SHOULD work). The knob turned all the way down should give no sound(unless the box is defective). Personally, I'm a big fan of monitor/source selectors(have used the Presonus Central Station for over 10 years here). Not only does it do all you need, it can also allow you to listen to the computer's SPDIF output(very handy for audio outside of Pro Tools), a mini-TRS(somebody always wants to play something off their phone or laptop) and it adds talkback too

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This is why I think you might be using the incorrect outputs for your mains(the knob and mute button SHOULD work).

I agree, and you should also check your I/O setup in Pro Tools and the routing in your session.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB