Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2002, 01:47 PM

Default curious xp fact

been hangin out at avid's website (they own digidesign), and you'd be surprised how many pc users are begging for windows xp patches for avid software. similarly, its the LE avid equivalent that's taking it hardest (avid xpress DV). the threads on xp complaints actually may number greater than here at digi. the corporate promises are even similar- soon, maybe may, no, maybe mid-summer, maybe... ?? anyone think steve jobs has the avid execs on some kind of retainer to hold up the xp patch releases? its strange to me. macs are great and all but there sure are a lot of pissed off people in the world, i mean crap, xp is 9 months old now.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:58 PM

Default Re: curious xp fact

I don't personally take any of this personally. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I don't think Digi is much further along with OS X support either. I may be wrong, as I don't follow the Mac developments much, but there ain't much new happenin' 'round here since NAMM....
Old 05-31-2002, 02:06 PM

But don't try to tell me that FreeBSD hasn't been avaiable for such a long time!!! They could have been programming the 'core' to it for some time and then easily transfered the interface over. They could have wrote the Interface in QT even, and then had it run on MacOSX, FreeBSD, and easily port to Linux!!! It's not like they didn't have a good heads up notice.

I personally think that they don't have any long term plans and little management. Perhaps some people at the top should take note of stuff asides from their paychecks- and post a little information about what the progress for their plans are.

I would be REALLY happy if they even just posted the minutes from their meetings, or a development journal. Even a timeline that they moved around and stuff, simple java app...
Boston, Mass
Old 06-01-2002, 01:34 PM

Some Facts about: Avid Xpress DV 2

- The software runs under Windows2000!
They're already on NT core while PTLE required more work.
- Avid made a switch to PC based machines because MS-shares & the FCP fight afterward.
PC versions became the flagship like the Symphony if I remember the name right.
On the Digi side... PT|HD - MAC only for now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
- Avid Xpress DV 2 DOES run under WinXP however the capturing engine (from the DV/firewire cards) don't work and it cannot do the renders or something (I just think it's DV in/out problem).

For PC users on Digi there's some missing parts...
- Video support still not here.
- NT kernel based still not here.
- Directconnect and more mac features still missing.
on the avid side they don't miss nothing yet also on the adobe side...
Old 06-01-2002, 02:55 PM

Just to get a better idea of how Avid and Digi run, here is another interesting factoid I discovered when I started using DV Express...

Avid (Who previously mentioned is the parent company of Digidesign) DV Express 3.0 For Windows only operates on Windows 2000.
Avid DV Express supports RTAS plugins....
Digidesign RTAS plugins are not Windows 2000 compatible. You try and figure that one out....

BTW, Waves Gold Bundle works great in DV Express for Post work. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 06-01-2002, 03:42 PM

The term headless chickens springs to mind.

If you are British or know anything about the current state of politics here, the equivalent would be "joined up government" - ha bloody ha.

Simon
Old 06-02-2002, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
I don't follow the Mac developments much, but there ain't much new happenin' 'round here since NAMM....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Little Cold Cold LE World. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] a.k.a. Where nothing ever happens!