Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2018, 08:59 AM

Default Pro Tools 12 vs 2018 which is better for my setup?

Hello

I'm on the verge of upgrading PT 10... which has been rock solid

From a certain point of view I'm not too worried because, following Avid suggestions, I've always had pro tools rock solid since version 8... yeah, problem here and there, but except certain versions with certain os version, I never got any problem of stability

But, considering I have a Mac Book Pro mid 2014 (quad core i7 2.2ghz), I was wondering which would be the best version for my computer (I've noticed some of just a year before can't already go past 2018.4 ... so I'm wondering if I'll be starting noticing some speed and stability impact there

I'm talking both PT and OS version

My MBP had Yosemite when it came out (actually was refurbished so I discovered I could install Mavericks, so I installed it and used PT10 since now)

When I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan I noticed a huge improvement (but I'm talking only about internet and everyday use, I have a partition I use only for internet and stuff) and I'm still not sure if high sierra is at el capitan level (on an everyday use)

So, what I'd like to find is which is the best version of PT and OSX I should use to not notice any speed and stability difference between PT10 or PT12/2018

Thank you
Old 08-31-2018, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 vs 2018 which is better for my setup?

anyone?

thank you
Old 08-31-2018, 09:12 AM

I will leave the real answers to the Mac users, BUT....Whatever you decide to do, have a backup plan. Moving to the current PT version probably will require an OS update as well, so with that in mind, I would start from scratch. Remove the current system drive and install a fresh SSD and load up the current OS, current Pro Tools and the latest versions of every plugin you have. DO NOT try to update the old drive. Reasons?
#1-with PT10, every plugin needs to be updated
#2-updating will leave behind tons of useless files
#3-if your new build has issues, you can still put the old drive back in and get work done(never update in the middle of an important project)

Last 2 cents while we are talking about a backup plan; if your sessions only exist on one drive, its time to back them up(as in DO IT TODAY)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-31-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattian View Post
Hello

I'm on the verge of upgrading PT 10... which has been rock solid

From a certain point of view I'm not too worried because, following Avid suggestions, I've always had pro tools rock solid since version 8... yeah, problem here and there, but except certain versions with certain os version, I never got any problem of stability

But, considering I have a Mac Book Pro mid 2014 (quad core i7 2.2ghz), I was wondering which would be the best version for my computer (I've noticed some of just a year before can't already go past 2018.4 ... so I'm wondering if I'll be starting noticing some speed and stability impact there

I'm talking both PT and OS version

My MBP had Yosemite when it came out (actually was refurbished so I discovered I could install Mavericks, so I installed it and used PT10 since now)

When I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan I noticed a huge improvement (but I'm talking only about internet and everyday use, I have a partition I use only for internet and stuff) and I'm still not sure if high sierra is at el capitan level (on an everyday use)

So, what I'd like to find is which is the best version of PT and OSX I should use to not notice any speed and stability difference between PT10 or PT12/2018

Thank you
Let me start by saying that El Crapitan is probably the worst OSX ever. There's many reason it goes by that nickname.

There's plenty of differences between PT10 and and any modern version of PT. 64 bit versus 32 bit for one - bigger address space. PT12 and up has a user specified ram cache which if you're on an old system with a spinner system drive but have a lot of ram will speed things up immensely.

Something to be aware of is that PT10 was the last to use RTAS plugins and was the bridge to the more modern PT versions with aax plugin format. PT11 and all later versions use aax64 - check with your plugin developers as they may well have aax 64 versions of what you have now.

If you upgrade now I don't believe you can get PT12 unless you buy a used license. All I think you can get from Avid is PT2018. Pay no real attention to what year computer is considered compatible. Of more importance is how much ram do you have in your current machine and what exactly do you have for a system drive? You want to have at least 8 gig of ram and 16 gig if you can swing it. Once you have that down then start to think about specific OSX versions. And there's another stumbling block - a specific OSX versus what work with current PT versions. If you take a look at a couple of threads here there are people who are wrestling with that specific deal. Here's but one such thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...65#post2498265

QAPLA!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I will leave the real answers to the Mac users, BUT....Whatever you decide to do, have a backup plan. Moving to the current PT version probably will require an OS update as well, so with that in mind, I would start from scratch. Remove the current system drive and install a fresh SSD and load up the current OS, current Pro Tools and the latest versions of every plugin you have. DO NOT try to update the old drive. Reasons?
#1-with PT10, every plugin needs to be updated
#2-updating will leave behind tons of useless files
#3-if your new build has issues, you can still put the old drive back in and get work done(never update in the middle of an important project)

Last 2 cents while we are talking about a backup plan; if your sessions only exist on one drive, its time to back them up(as in DO IT TODAY)
yeah obviously i was talking about a clean install... now i also have two partitions, one with high sierra, i use it for internet and stuff, the other one for mavericks, i use with pt 10

what do u think about having two partitions?
now that i don't need to run two os, i could just do two user accounts, one for internet, the other one for pt

I want to install mavericks and pt10 on an external hd, so i can always load old projects with it, and pt 12 or 2018 in the macbook with high sierra 10.13.3
Old 08-31-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Let me start by saying that El Crapitan is probably the worst OSX ever. There's many reason it goes by that nickname.

There's plenty of differences between PT10 and and any modern version of PT. 64 bit versus 32 bit for one - bigger address space. PT12 and up has a user specified ram cache which if you're on an old system with a spinner system drive but have a lot of ram will speed things up immensely.

Something to be aware of is that PT10 was the last to use RTAS plugins and was the bridge to the more modern PT versions with aax plugin format. PT11 and all later versions use aax64 - check with your plugin developers as they may well have aax 64 versions of what you have now.

If you upgrade now I don't believe you can get PT12 unless you buy a used license. All I think you can get from Avid is PT2018. Pay no real attention to what year computer is considered compatible. Of more importance is how much ram do you have in your current machine and what exactly do you have for a system drive? You want to have at least 8 gig of ram and 16 gig if you can swing it. Once you have that down then start to think about specific OSX versions. And there's another stumbling block - a specific OSX versus what work with current PT versions. If you take a look at a couple of threads here there are people who are wrestling with that specific deal. Here's but one such thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...65#post2498265
yeah sure, anyway I both have pt 12 and 18... actually i have pt 9/10/11/12/18 xD

I'm just trying to understand which pt and os versions would be the best for a mbp mid 2014

only thing i got for now is to use high sierra 10.13.3 because past 3 you get problems with low buffer settings, which i use

other than that I'm not getting much informations, i haven't found many threads about it
Old 08-31-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
PT12 and up has a user specified ram cache which if you're on an old system with a spinner system drive but have a lot of ram will speed things up immensely.
Ram cache came in 10 not 12.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattian View Post
anyone?

thank you
on your macbook, same era as mine with just a bit of a slower processor (and can probably maintain turbo which mine can't due to heat reasons anyway)

OS 12.12.6

and PT 2018.7

is the way to go.

cheers
Old 09-01-2018, 12:22 AM

os 10.12.6?
os 10.13.3 no?

haven't you tried high sierra?

I know 10.13.4 and after should be avoided, but till 10.13.3 shouldn't be fine?

thanks
Old 09-01-2018, 12:26 AM

I've heard high sierra has problems with hds, but my mbp came standard with ssd, so I think it is optimized for ssd... so, if that was the problem you were making me aware, I think I don't have it and actually should be better high sierra, am I wrong?