Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 12:08 AM

Default no monitoring while recording

the last few days i have been ready for a voice over session running through an avalon preamp into the 002 and then the c24. im using the c24 main control room monitoring section to monitor and using the aux outs for a headphone amp for the announcer. but when i go to record there is no monitoring in my studio or for the announcer in his cans, but yet it still records onto the track in pro tools. then i can stop and play it back. its doing my head in

i have tried doing sys resets on the c24 and so on but no luck. it randomly just works when it wants??

anyone heard of this or expirienced it?? any ideas. could it be anything im doing wrong or does it sound like a prob with the c24?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:08 AM

Default Re: no monitoring while recording

Hi,

So if you have any pre recorded audio in the session, does this get muted as well? or is it only the audio you are recording that gets muted?

If you disable the c24 and don't use it!! can you still go into record and hear the outputs from your 002? i've no experience with 002 so i don't know exactly how the monitoring works, but this test should tell you if its a Pro tools Le/002 setting or whether its the C24.

I doubt the C24 has a fault! i can't think why the sound would mute during record from the C24. on TDM we have diffrent fader settings for playback and record! but thats TDM.

Some 002 users will pop bye soon and hopefully advise.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:45 AM

if there is sound on the timeline in le it plays trough the monitors and in the cans. its only the audio while recording that disappers. i tried coming out of the oo2 rack main outputs/ monitor outs into the speakers but still the same problem? so id assume its the c24? its got me stumped!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
if there is sound on the timeline in le it plays trough the monitors and in the cans. its only the audio while recording that disappers. i tried coming out of the oo2 rack main outputs/ monitor outs into the speakers but still the same problem? so id assume its the c24? its got me stumped!
Hi,

If you're hearing previously recorded audio ok then its not the c24! but more likely to be a setting in LE! LE and the 002 works different to TDM so i have little experience in that area. But have you checked all the preferences settings that are related to monitoring?

When recording can you hear anything from the heradphone out on the 002?

Have you reset the C24?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:00 PM

yeh all the prefs seem fine, i tryed to monitor with the headphone through the 002 rack whilst recording but still no luck. does it sound more like a fault with the 002 itself. i have reseted the c24 and that doesnt work.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:50 PM

i have just been playing with my settings and i flicked the low latencey monitoring off and i could monitor then flicked it back on and the monitoring died completley? and so on. im glad it doesnt look like a c24 problem.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Are you using sends to monitor the VO talent? If so, I can tell you that enabling low latency monitoring in PTLE bypasses all sends and only allows you to monitor tracks assigned directly to out 1-2.

If you want to use sends, (as I imagine you do) you will have to turn low latency monitoring OFF, and see if one of the lower buffer settings will be acceptable to your VO talent. Most of the time, a buffer size of 128 samples seems acceptable in my experience.

All the best

Espen