Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 05:31 PM

Default MIX Exchange Stopped at all?!?!

Hey guys, i did not expect DIGI is not going to exchange MIX systems at all, i just tought there is going to be different price. I can't believe they do exchange PT III and all other stuff but MIX!
Old 12-21-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Re: MIX Exchange Stopped at all?!?!

I wouldn't worry about it, Digi has good reasons for keeping some kind of Mix upgrade available, namely the thousands of dollars they won't get from people who decide to buy someone else's platform if they can't do an upgrade. If it isn't there now (haven't checked), it's probably just a marketing thing.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:14 PM

The postcard I got in the mail didn't say, explicity or otherwise, "Give us your MIX hardware now or forever hold your MIX."
Old 12-21-2004, 06:28 PM

Interesting. First Process is eliminated from upgrades. Now Mix and d24. Interfaces are still exchangeable. I wonder if Digi is phasing out of exchange programs. I wish I could exchange my G4 for a G5.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:09 PM

Ok. Now I see what the fuss is about. The press release (post card) said this, "After December 20, 2004, these exchanges will return to their regular pricing."

Now if you visit the hardware exchange page, the MIX Core and MIX Farm cards are gone. Those cards didn't return to their normal pricing. They didn't even return to the list.

MIX owners would appreciate it if DigiTechSupt, DigiCS, Digidesign, or some other Digi employee chimed in on this thread.

Is it going to be an unhappy new year for MIX owners?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:05 PM

The header/link to that page has been changed as well. No mention of Mix.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:29 AM

I just got that oh s@#t I lost my keys feeling.

Digi please answer us as to what's going on. I am an avid protools supporter (scuse the pun) but this sort of thing dulls the enthusiasm.

Rock on
Old 12-22-2004, 11:16 AM

I dunno.

I think you can trust Digi to do what's best for Digi. Nothing wrong that, by the way. Its silly and naive to think otherwise. But I figure Digid will do what's in the best interest of Digi.

If offering a Mix trade up makes them more money, they'll do it. They have been doing it for a while. Assuming that they were making money on that deal, it stands to reason that they would have wanted to attract as many customers as possible.

Saying "this is your last chance" certainly would have pulled in a few more customers. The fact that they didn't leads me to guess that they will offer other Mix trade ins in the future.

Here's one possible theory:

Digi has cried wolf so many times with "this is the last chance to get this great upgrade" that they have lost some credibility with that tactic. Perhaps they are going to let Mix systems go un-upgraded for some period so that the offer to allow a Mix upgrade later, especially if coupled with a (now predictable) "this is the last chance" campaign, might push some folks into taking the plunge at that point.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong about that.

One thing I'm sure of is that Digi will do whatever makes it the most money, and so far, upgrade paths have seemed to be something they did a lot of, implying to me that it was making them money. Unless some variable has changed drastically, or I'm missing some key piece of new information, you gotta figure it will continue.

If not, I'll pick up some cheap Mix Farms in the selloff panic, and continue to maximize my investment in the Mix platform. The more I do that, the better I feel about losing long term value for them when I eventually upgrade to HD Super Plus Accell II and a G7.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Avid

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your interest - We are in the process of updating the pricing on our web site. Digidesign will continue to offer Pro Tools|24 and Pro Tools|24 MIX to Pro Tools HD and Pro Tools|HD Accel Hardware Exchanges.

If you have any immediate questions regarding the purchase of a Hardware Exchange, please contact your local Digidesign sales office:

http://www.digidesign.com/aboutus/contact/
Old 12-22-2004, 01:04 PM

sounds like someone forgot/left it out/made an error...

I love the consiracy theorists/evil corporation out to get us rants...

it was an ****** mistake.

LOL