Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2016, 02:15 AM

Default Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

Hi guys..
my upgrade plan is going to expire next month and i am thinking of renewing plugins and support plan as well....BUT....is it worth 99$????
I mean it's just a few stomp boxes (which i have from other brands like Native instuments Guitar rig 5 and IK multimedia Amplitube 4) and i must say a good verb ....which i think i used 3-4 times...
As for support plan i never needed any help from AVID since 2008...if i had any problem i look here in this place with help all of you guys....
Soooooo 99$ for stomp boxes,one verb and support.....
However,all other DAWs have at least stomp boxes for free...
What do you think guys??
Old 02-16-2016, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Plugins and Support Plan....is it worth it???

If you're having to ask other people if it's worth it.... i think you've answered your own question

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 02-16-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
If you're having to ask other people if it's worth it.... i think you've answered your own question
hahahaaha +1
Old 02-16-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos4 View Post
Hi guys..
my upgrade plan is going to expire next month and i am thinking of renewing plugins and support plan as well....BUT....is it worth 99$????
I mean it's just a few stomp boxes (which i have from other brands like Native instuments Guitar rig 5 and IK multimedia Amplitube 4) and i must say a good verb ....which i think i used 3-4 times...
As for support plan i never needed any help from AVID since 2008...if i had any problem i look here in this place with help all of you guys....
Soooooo 99$ for stomp boxes,one verb and support.....
However,all other DAWs have at least stomp boxes for free...
What do you think guys??
I got the stomp boxes, don't use them; too many plug-ins can lead to too much choice IMO and if you already got some...
Old 02-16-2016, 05:14 AM

I have 2 pedalboards, never used the plugins
Old 02-16-2016, 07:24 AM

$399 if you're on HD, and in 20 years of ProTools, I've NEVER needed support from them. Ever. And since I don't like to "rent" things like software (as in the "free as long as you have a support plan" plugins) this is a no-brainer thing for me. Kinda sucky that we don't get the "point" updates without a support plan, though. That's taking it a little too far IMHO.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 AM

For beginners, it is a simple way to get some basic (stomp box) type plugins if they don't have much other plugins. I have them and other than playing with them for a few minutes at first, I never use them. I don't mind having too many choices for plugins, but the problem is this, every time I boot my Mac, it sits there for several minutes for the Application Manager to check for new or updates of these plugins. It literally waste my time every tine I boot up. It is so annoying that I avoid rebooting as much as possible. In my opinion, there are much betters way to use your $99 (get some better cables, tune the piano, get a groovy lava light, etc.). These might make your recordings and mixes better.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 02-16-2016, 07:47 AM

App manager is "optional". I don't use it at all.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
For beginners, it is a simple way to get some basic (stomp box) type plugins if they don't have much other plugins. I have them and other than playing with them for a few minutes at first, I never use them. I don't mind having too many choices for plugins, but the problem is this, every time I boot my Mac, it sits there for several minutes for the Application Manager to check for new or updates of these plugins. It literally waste my time every tine I boot up. It is so annoying that I avoid rebooting as much as possible. In my opinion, there are much betters way to use your $99 (get some better cables, tune the piano, get a groovy lava light, etc.). These might make your recordings and mixes better.
or maybe an HDD for backup
Old 02-16-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
App manager is "optional". I don't use it at all.
I did not have the "option" to not install it. I don't see a setting to turn this "option" off. I read in the sticky thread above that there is a "hack" to edit a plist file on the mac to not run Application Manager at startup but that hardly sounds like this is "optional." I admit I did not read the whole thread completely so perhaps I'm missing something later.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1