Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 09:13 AM

Default G4 upgrades...or the big leap?

This seems like the kind of thing I could find searching the DUC, but alas I have had no luck so here it goes:

Currently running OS X 10.3.9/ PT 6.4/ 001 on a G4 1.2 single AGP (powerlogix upgrade).

I'm purchasing Altiverb 5.0 (as well as running ColorTone/ HydraTone and occasionally B4 II). Do you think upgrading to a Sonnett 1.8 dual will give me enough of a performance boost that I can run a couple instances of Altiverb with some other EQ/ Compression on a 24 track session? I would be sticking with 6.4 because of the 001 limitation, so I'm not sure if the Dual processor would really help that much... BTW, I usually bounce any soft synth tracks to free up the CPU before mixing.

The other option is to go Dual Core G5 and upgrade to a 002 Rack (I need the lightpipe input for my converters). So it ends up being a $599 vs $3400 question.... D'oh!

Thanks,

J
Old 02-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: G4 upgrades...or the big leap?

Hey josh,

I would hold off on the G-5 + 002r now + let the dust settle for about another 6 months to a year. Things are changing so rapidly that the G-5 dual-core will be archived soon. I have almost the same set-up as you + I bought the Giga dual 1.6 about a year ago, and it made a big difference in plug-in performance. I'm running anywhere from 25 -30 plug-ins per session. I think the Giga dual 1.6 goes for about $432.00 US.

Best,

Kenny
Old 02-11-2006, 08:59 PM

Sure, it will help...a little, but not much, probably not enough. The problem with that old G4 isn't the processor, it's the spped of the bus - 100 MHz. You can't change that. I use Altiverb on a G4 (Sawtooth) with a 1.0 GHz Sonnet upgraded processor. I'm also using a Digi001, PTLE 6.4 and OS 10.4. That's very similar to your system. Even though Altiverb 5 uses less CPU than Altiverb 4, it's still a big drain on the CPU - just one instance (on the mix bus in my case) taxes the system significantly. I'm also using a few channel eqs and on he mix bus Waves Q10, Waves C4, Waves L1+ and Waves stereo enhancer. If I added another instance of Altiverb, it would choke. I'm only mixing down 4 channels (at most).

Of course, you can print tracks using plugins and when you mix those tracks later, you're not taxing the CPU so much.

Max out your ram, hold off on the 1.8 upgrade and print some processed tracks before you mix. Wait for Digi 003 or something else.

BTW, Altiverb is really really nice.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:11 AM

Quote:
I bought the Giga dual 1.6 about a year ago, and it made a big difference in plug-in performance. I'm running anywhere from 25 -30 plug-ins per session. I think the Giga dual 1.6 goes for about $432.00 US.

I've heard the Giga Processors have issues with sync in terms of word clock. i.e. An ADAT device for extra I/O or S/PDIF. This true?
Old 02-12-2006, 05:13 AM

HI,

Quote:
I'm also using a Digi001, PTLE 6.4 and OS 10.4
I highly doubt that you use THAT combination at the same time.

Ok, if you can afford it by all means get a G5 Mac, iMac and a 002(r). As It was said the CPU isn´t the problem, it´s the BUS that will choke the performance.

And depending on what G4/AGP model you have you can´t get Dual CPUs (2x AGP /1999 Model)

regs
Old 02-12-2006, 07:36 AM

I was concerned about the bus speed bottleneck... There is support for my G4- it is a AGP 400, Sonnet claims their Encore dual 1.8 will work no problem. Does having 2 processors give you any additional DSP power in 6.4 or does it really have no effect until 7.0? I don't mind having to print effects provided I can get an idea of how they are working in the mix; if 1 instance of Altiverb is going to make my machine beg for mercy with only a couple of EQ's and Comps maybe the dual will give me enough juice to get an idea so I can print effects....

I guess I'm stuck!?

Thanks for all of the suggestions,

Josh
Old 02-12-2006, 09:11 AM

HI,

so I guess you read THIS:
http://sonnettech.com/publicfiles/pd...uet_2g_add.pdf

about the G4/400 issue, if not do so!

About the performance leap it really depends on the app (see earlier statements)

but it will still be WAYS behind even the slowest G5 architecture.

regs
Old 02-12-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:

HI,

so I guess you read THIS:
http://sonnettech.com/publicfiles/pd...uet_2g_add.pdf

Actually, I hadn't seen that one yet... looks like no dual for me! Thanks for saving me the frustration. Bummer...

I guess that answers the million dollar question.

Cheers,

J
Old 02-22-2006, 04:05 PM

Check this page for some more opinions:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/aud..._upgrades.html

Leigh