Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Default Elixir V3 problem loading in PT 10.3.6

Hi,

I have PT 10.3.6 HD 2 (original HD cards from 2003, non-accel) and I'm trying to install Elixir v3 which says it should run on AAX native which my machine does. I'm running on Windows 7. Elixir installs correctly and is authorized according to it's security manager properly on my iLok (version 1, the old iLok). When I try to launch an instance of a NATIVE Elixir (either the one stage or normal version), the plugin appears in a slot in the channel strip but the plugin window does not open. Instead I get a window that says "Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0x00000000" I see that this is a common error message after searching this board but I can't tell what specifically it means in my case. I know the 64 bit version of Elixir won't run on PT 10 windows so I did not install it. I only chose to install the 32 bit version. Just for fun I've tried various combinations of installing components from the setup program and all yield the same result.

I have put in a support ticket with Elixir but they have not responded for several days despite claiming I should get a response within 24 hours. Any ideas on what is causing this error?

Thanks,
David
Old 09-08-2013, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Elixir V3 problem loading in PT 10.3.6

Try reinstalling it and install both versions, I think I had same problem.
I still get error "not authorized" sometimes, and need to restart everything to get it to work properly. Support is very bad, that is obvious.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 AM

I really ilke Elixir v3. it is amazing when it work, but I had this problem many times. I opened a ticket with FLUX, they game me some advices but without success and no "follow up". This happened in 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 too. I was starting to think i was the only one with that problem.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM

I had to deal with Flux once (related to an earlier version of Elixir) and they were a bit slow but they answered and were helpful. Elixir has been flaky lately. V2 meters can be erratic or non-responsive. Certain later versions of V2 were CPU-inefficient and caused usage to "flux." V3 takes a long time to instantiate in PT10 (an iLok bug perhaps) but is fine in PT11.

But there's no plugin quite like it. It's an amazing limiter.

Good luck with them.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 AM

I have tried installing both 32 and 64 bit versions even though I know the 64 bit version does not work on in PT 10. And I have tried other combinations of options that are selectable during the install process. All variations of installation yield the same "Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0x00000000" error after the plugin appears to take up a slot in the channel strip. I have never seen the actual plugin window.

Has anyone gotten Elixir to work in WINDOWS PT 10.3.6? The error I quoted above seems to not be specific to Elixir, I did a search here and found it for many problems but I can't find a solution for my specific case. Flux still has not responded a full week after purchase and opening a ticket. This can't be good for the company. I really want it to work because 2 of my friends say it's amazing.

I am going to try installing 10.3.7 on Windows later today and see if it then wants to load correctly. This could be one of those bugs that is partially both Flux and Avid's problem.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sandwisch View Post
This could be one of those bugs that is partially both Flux and Avid's problem.
...and iLok and the OS, or any combination of the four.

I won't pretend to know what's causing your issue but these things are sometimes fixed (on Macs) by zapping the pram, repairing permissions, unplugging front-panel USB devices, pulling and reinserting the iLok, etc. They can be enigmatic and that's a hair-puller at times.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
But there's no plugin quite like it. It's an amazing limiter.
I can't argue with that. Apart from sounding great, it is the only limiter that I know of, that can reduce the peaks without changing the loudness. Very convenient when trying to bring the True peak level down within a few sections of a mix.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 09-08-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
...and iLok and the OS, or any combination of the four.

I won't pretend to know what's causing your issue but these things are sometimes fixed (on Macs) by zapping the pram, repairing permissions, unplugging front-panel USB devices, pulling and reinserting the iLok, etc. They can be enigmatic and that's a hair-puller at times.
It's strange because the Flux security manager app correctly sees my ilok and key. I do have one of the oldest iloks from 2003, not the smaller, current version but I don't see why that would matter. I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers.

I'd like to think that there is a solution other than me asking for my money back because of the great recommendations I've received. I am about to try installing 10.3.7 and we'll see if that does anything.

What's most disappointing is the lack of support or way to even contact Flux. Not very professional in my opinion. I feel like my best shot is to find someone with the similar problem on Windows 7 PT 10.3.6 and see what worked for them. I eventually will buy PT 11 which may fix the issue entirely but that may not be for a month or 2.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Yes that's a shame about their lack of support. They make great products (everything they produce is worth buying) but if they're going to cause problems (and Elixir has had a few) then they should back it up with better service. As you said, it would be a shame if you couldn't use it for what will undoubtedly be a very simple reason.

I don't think that it requires an iLok2 and recent versions of PT which aren't the latest should still be fine.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golfer View Post
I can't argue with that. Apart from sounding great, it is the only limiter that I know of, that can reduce the peaks without changing the loudness. Very convenient when trying to bring the True peak level down within a few sections of a mix.
We use it for that often -- just to keep an eye out for those occasional peaks, which it handles swimmingly. Even TC's Brickwall Limiter seemed to miss one or two on occasion, and this thing sound MUCH better.