Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Default Lag when using virtual instrument...

Today i ran into a problem using Reason 4 with PT that i haven't had before. I have a pretty full production in Reason that i want to add vocals too, but when i play the song through PT, Reason lags on every down beat. in other words, i have a 4/4 beat going, and when i come around to the first beat again, it kind of just lags for a split second - so the whole song is completely unfluid.
i use Reason often with PT to juice things up with synths and drums samples etc and have never had a problem with lag when sequencing everything in Reason and running it through an instrument track in PT.
my first instinct was that my computer was overloaded, but i find that highly unlikely as i have plenty of RAM and a dual-core 3 GHZ processor, and the CPU meter says im barely using anything.

this is preventing me from finishing my track! i just bought reason 4 and havent used it much with protools yet, so im wondering if protools 7.1 and reason 4 are having trouble getting along...

any ideas or clues would be much appreciated!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Lag when using virtual instrument...

Are u trackin in reason or in PT...I've neva had any probs but I've ONLY tracked in PT using Rewire of course...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-21-2008, 03:36 PM

Tracking in PT using ReWire
Old 04-21-2008, 04:08 PM

U hav everything quantitized?...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 AM

I experienced a similar problem only once. I had a rather large PT session and was using sounds from Reason. At that time I was using MIDI tracks in PT to trigger the devices in Reason. After a certain point there was a very slight timing lag coming from the Reason devices. I found in that case that the timing lag went away when I exported the MIDI tracks from PT and loaded them into Reason. In other words I was using the Reason sequencer to trigger the Reason sounds. I have worked both ways (using PT or Reason to sequence) many times since then and never experienced another similar problem. I don't know why that would be - maybe something to do with Rewire throughput priority? But it might help you to try that - at least to get the session done!

Tom
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com