Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2002, 02:43 AM

Default Results from Davec tests

Hello!

MB: Asus A7V266e onboard audio and Raid. (Not using raid)
CPU: Amd 1800XP+ (Not overclocked)
Ram: DDR-Dim 256Meg.
System disk: Western Digital 10,2 gig 5400rpm
Audio Disk : Western Digital 20 gig 7200rpm
(Haven`t defrag it yet...)
VGA: Nvidia vanta 2xAgp 16Mb

I could reach 24 tracks and 15 aux.
That was the limit to mine system.
I`m impressed [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
This is with 128 H/W buffer and 80% cpu setting.

Let`s see moore results here.

Greetings,
Svein Egil.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Results from Davec tests

Svein,
Please post your results in the PT Performance thread also, so that we have a complete data base of info there. I think you can squeeze 3 more tracks out of that setup if you do some minor tweaking. Here are some quick tips on that motherboard.
1.Disable onboard sound in bios
2.Disable USB in bios
3.Make sure Digi is at IRQ 9 or 10 by itself. Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Info/Hardware/IRQ and copy and paste your setting here so that others can help you. Putting Digi in slot 4 of this motherboard I believe defaults to IRQ 9.
4. Use 512MB of PC2100 DDR SDRAM from Micron www.crucial.com or www.newegg.com
5. If you have onboard Promise controllers, put system on port A, audio on port B and include SCSI in the bootup sequence in your bios. It recognizes the Promise controller as a SCSI controller. Put your CDRW etc. on the IDE channels. This is not a RAID setup, you are just using the Promise channels as an ATA100 controller this way.
6. Download the VIA patch for KT266a chipset for Promise controllers www.via.com
Don't download the 4 in 1 drivers!
7. Use only ATA100 or higher 7200rpm drives.
8. Make sure you have over 90% resources free after bootup Right Click My Computer/The left click Properties/Performance.
That should get you a few more tracks.
Good luck.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2002, 03:32 PM

Svein, you may also be able to get an extra track to two on the torture test by adjusting your CPU setting up to the maximum, which is 85%.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:08 AM

IT WILL! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2002, 12:12 AM

YES, Correct!
Old 01-28-2002, 03:18 PM

Hello again friends!

You are just great!
Thanx once again for real PRO HELP [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
But I still don`t know how and why to use
the Promise controller for the disks and, the regular Ide channels for CD/CDRW`s..?
Do I free up CPU power by doing this?
The cpu still have to deliever power to the Promise controller...
What`s the different between delievering cpu power to the regular IDE ports vs Promise controller..?
My Disks are:
System: Western Digital caviar 5400rpm 10,2g
Audio: Western Digital caviar 7200rpm 20g
Both disks are approx. 2 years old.
Are they ATA-100 compatible?

Still NO hang-ups yet on my Asus A7V266e with AMD 1800XP+ [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Steady as Rocky Mountain!!!
(But I don`t like the temp of the AMD...138F.. with standard ATX tower... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] )

Cheers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Svein Egil.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:29 PM

I'm going to make Koolance believers out of everyone yet. Actually that is cooler than some of the GA7DX boards I've seen. They were running up in the 150-160F range. Try the Vocano 7 heatsink/fan combo or just get a Koolance and be done with it. I'm not sure your hard drives would benefit from the Promise controllers. Only one way to find out, download the VIA patch I posted on the other Windows forum and put the hard drives on the Promise controller. One guy achieved four more tracks with the VIA patch update. I achieved 4 more tracks on my A7M266 by using the Promise Controller and things seemed to just run smoother. Kind of subjective I know. When I talked to the Promise rep, they told me that they would expect 20-40% improvement over the IDE channels.
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 08:34 PM

Allen,

We both have been on the Koolance soap-box for a while! Our story may change with the release of AMD's new CPU.

For now, KOOLANCE cannot be topped! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 11:08 PM

G,
Did you get that info I posted on the new Enermax variable speed case fans. I'm going to try the 12cm one in place of my stock HP fan. That is the loudest part of my setup now and if I can get that thing down I'll be nearly silent. Ahhh.
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2002, 12:04 AM

Allen,

Yeah, I have the 431 watt variable speed Enermax installed in my Koolance case - Super quiet! The power supply fan speed varies via the Enermax thermal couple element (supplied with unit - resistor on a wire) input or you can use the motherboard's thermal output connector. I am using the motherboard's output but it doesn't really matter cuz the thermal couple element is located in the Koolance active air path and the motherboard never gets hot enough to send an output that accelerates the power supply fans. My system is always quiet and always very cool! I have the Koolance case setting at #2 and it never accelerates the intake/exhaust fans either. I know that I am seriously under-cooling the system, which can never hurt.

Also, I have a hard drive cooling kit installed cooling both of my IBM drives, which I found to generate A LOT of heat cuz they are almost totally isolated from the case's metal frame (heatsink). This dropped my motherboard temperature by several degrees. This feature was more effective than the chipset cooler kit, which is also installed.

Koolance rules! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]