Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Default Re: What do you think of...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
After hell has frozen maybe?
I'd be surprised if PA doesn't go subscription only by the end of this year; next year at the latest.

QAPLA!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'd be surprised if PA doesn't go subscription only by the end of this year; next year at the latest.
That would then be the end of me using their MAAG and ENGL
Old 09-10-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
That would then be the end of me using their MAAG and ENGL
If they do it like Adobe your existing install will work okay. That's why I'm frozen at the last revision of Photoshop before they went sub only - does what I need it to do and still works. Granted I wouldn't buy any more of PA's stuff that's for sure.

QAPLA!
Old 09-10-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If they do it like Adobe your existing install will work okay. That's why I'm frozen at the last revision of Photoshop before they went sub only - does what I need it to do and still works. Granted I wouldn't buy any more of PA's stuff that's for sure.
Works until you move on to Catalina and 64bit only
Old 09-10-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Works until you move on to Catalina and 64bit only
Don't have to worry about that with my Photoshop machine which is the same one I use for email and general web surfing (OSX 10.6.8). And as far as PA plugins I believe they're all 64 bit but I get what you're talking about as there's a bunch of programs waiting to go toes up (PT for one) with Catalina.

QAPLA!
Old 09-10-2019, 05:32 AM

Yep. PA putting a subscription deal as only way of getting Catalina compatible plugins would be a big bye-bye
Old 09-11-2019, 01:43 AM

Plugin Alliance have never charged for upgrades (save the option to "upgrade" to a newer and better plugin e.g. SPL Plus series).

If Dirk moves the goalposts that far then I'll seriously consider my options but I don't think he will.

We'll have to see how this subscription pans out with them overall. It's a vendor's dream for sure. Keep receiving money for the stuff you have already sold for perpetuity! All you have to do is add a new plugin once in a while and that will attract new custom anyhow.

On the flip side Dirk may not receive another dime from myself or those like me who have bought around 70 plugins or more in the last few years and won't be going subscription any time soon.

I had a discussion with Steven Slate on FaceBook that he wasn't receiving any more $$$ from myself since he went hardcore subscription. I made a proposal that he should offer a plugin or two one in a while at the current market street prices (let's say $49) to people like myself and take our money too. However, it maybe that the Kool Aid is so strong he doesn't want it watered down one iota.

One thing for sure, this ain't Netflix.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 09-11-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Plugin Alliance have never charged for upgrades (save the option to "upgrade" to a newer and better plugin e.g. SPL Plus series).

If Dirk moves the goalposts that far then I'll seriously consider my options but I don't think he will.

snippage

Stephen
I would take heed of the wording in emails since this whole bundle business started. And that is 'free updates for the life of the subscription'. Now whether that means plugins updates of which there are very few or upgrades for newer versions of a plugin like VSM2 to VSM3 I don't know. But considering the changes that have happened so far I would not be surprised.

Also note, if it hasn't been mentioned, that at least for this month the so-called special deals have not materialized. Oh there's the new sub-bundles but as to outright ownership of plugins - no deals this month and a lot of us think they're gone forever

I know this is contradicting something I wrote earlier but there is one plugin I'd like IF it comes down to a sane price and that's the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor. I know this'll get a laugh but a $49 or even $69 Black Friday or Christmas sale would be welcome. One other people have been waiting for is the long rumoured follow-on the the 2098 EQ. Last count on PA plugs is just over 60 for me.

QAPLA!
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I thought it could be useful to have a thread where we can ask others their opinion about software and plugins we want to buy.

For example I would like to know if anyone has tried Sektor, the wavetable synth by Initial Audio and what do they think of it. It's only $15 right now at Plugin Boutique.

Thanks!

This looks really interesting. Can you import or create your own WT's? It seems to work a lot like Serum

Old 09-12-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
This looks really interesting. Can you import or create your own WT's? It seems to work a lot like Serum
I bought it because I wanted the accompanying PIB deal which was Iris2 IIRC, then I realized it is not AAX and it doesn't work quite right in Patchwork so I haven't used it yet. It has great sounds though!