Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 PM

Default Strange "Assertion" error causing Pro Tools to quit unexpectedly...????

what does this mean?

This error is consistently reoccurring (coincidentally?) as I am working with the quantize feature in elastic audio.

It's causing my session to quit unexpectedly.

Someone please help! Any advice, appreciated.

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Processor: 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 10 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

Thanks,

Nick
Old 11-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Avid

Default Re: Strange "Assertion" error causing Pro Tools to quit unexpectedly...????

Can you confirm the issue with different sessions or just in this one session ?

Any way to narrow it down to just one or a specific set of tracks ?

If so, could you create a new session / import session data of those tracks / audio files and see if it happens with that new session as well ?

Is this a session originally created in PT 10 or was it created in a previous version ?

Does it keep happening after trashing the prefs ?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Strange "Assertion" error causing Pro Tools to quit unexpectedly...????

i just imported the tracks (import session data) to a new session. the same error occurs.

i just disabled the elastic audio on the track and started doing manual edits in the meanwhile... there were no crashes and the error didnt occur. however! when i proceeded to record a new track and further enabled elastic audio, and had a playlist for that track. i quantized one of my playlists and tried to drag it up to my comp track and it gave me the same error!

this time i was in polyphonic. first time monophonic. same error, and coincidentally during the same instance in which i was dragging a quantized playlist into my comp track...

so weird. any idea what this could possibly be? thank you for your response.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:13 PM

BUMP

this is very weird.

the only way of avoiding this problem is by not using elastic audio simultaneously w/playlist view.

help please. this isn't helping my work flow.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Hey guys,

Could someone please confirm this? I'm getting the exact same error as Nick, and I'm able to reproduce it in a new, one-track session with no plug-ins.

1. Create a new session.
2. Create a mono audio track in samples
3. Record any length of audio
4. Change the track's display to "playlists"
5. Create a new playlist
6. Enable the "Solo Comp Lane" on the previously recorded playlist
7. Create a new playlist

At that point, I get the "Line 180" error that Nick reported. The track's display options become limited to only "volume", "mute", and "pan". An attempt to "Save" crashes PT. An attempt to "Save As..." under a new name results in an unusable session file (with a name like "ddpyJHWYwcqhCSVW" or "ghzvHRPZrmcdPVVW") and PT crashes.

The only way PT will not crash is if the track is deleted before saving. Which means it's possible to move all the clips off of the track onto a newly created one, delete the corrupted track, and continue.

I have it happening in all H/W buffer sizes, and trashing the Digidesign databases folder did not have any effect.

So... is it just me?

Thanks for your time,
Mike

PT10.0.0 / 003R / 11R / MacBook Pro 8,2 / OS 10.6.7 / Intel core i7, 2 GHz / 8GB RAM
Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phirm View Post
Hey guys,

Could someone please confirm this? I'm getting the exact same error as Nick, and I'm able to reproduce it in a new, one-track session with no plug-ins.

1. Create a new session.
2. Create a mono audio track in samples
5. Create a new playlist
7. Create a new playlist

At that point, I get the "Line 180" error that Nick reported. The track's display options become limited to only "volume", "mute", and "pan". An attempt to "Save" crashes PT. An attempt to "Save As..." under a new name results in an unusable session file (with a name like "ddpyJHWYwcqhCSVW" or "ghzvHRPZrmcdPVVW") and PT crashes.

The only way PT will not crash is if the track is deleted before saving. Which means it's possible to move all the clips off of the track onto a newly created one, delete the corrupted track, and continue.

I have it happening in all H/W buffer sizes, and trashing the Digidesign databases folder did not have any effect.

So... is it just me?

Thanks for your time,
Mike

PT10.0.0 / 003R / 11R / MacBook Pro 8,2 / OS 10.6.7 / Intel core i7, 2 GHz / 8GB RAM
have you tried this with ptools 10.1.2?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM

Hey Mr. Ed,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't yet upgraded to 10.1.2, but I looked on its "resolved issues" (and those of 10.1.1) and they don't mention this scenario. I did, however, just update to 10.0.1 and got the same error.

Can anyone replicate this? (Within any PT10)

I really do appreciate your time and any help,
Mike
Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Try rendering the lasting audio files; that should fix it Any elastic audio files that I have worked in pt10 that have come through pt9 work better that way
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Thanks, stvbn. I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm afraid the error is independent of the track's elastic audio setting. The track doesn't have to be elastic audio enabled.

DigiTechSupt, or anyone with PT10, do you observe that creating a new playlist while in playlist view with one of the previously recorded playlists "solo" enabled leads to an error?

1. Create a new session.
2. Create a mono audio track (either ticks or samples)
5. Create a new playlist
7. Create a new playlist = corrupted track (see previous post)

Again, thanks for your time. Know that I respect the forum's interests and will not bump this if it gets no further replies.
Mike
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 AM

I have the very same problem, this is from a thread I made here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ight=Assertion

"Hi there,

I have a severe problem with my ProTools 10. I´ve been working this session for quiet some time and everything used to work perfectly. Now I´ve been getting the attached error message when starting playback of a highlighted playlist clip. I can´t do anything in ProTools from then on. I can only manually shut it down by using the task manager. the problem occurs again after restarting.

here´s a picture of the error: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...03um133729.png

written out it sais: Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/ws.Ludwig/Altura Ports/PT4_App/Macbuild/../../NewFileLibs/Time/Time_TypedBase.h", line 140

The last number changes every time I get the error. When I click ok it just pops back up.

I have deleted the pro tools databases and tried to delete the digidesign files in the preferences folder, unfortunately there were no digidesign files in there though
CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

My system:
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010
8GB 1067MHz DDR3 ram, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Mac OS X 10.6.8.
ProTools 10.1.2
Western Digital Mybook studio 2TB Firewire 800
Buffalo Drive Station 500gb Firewire 800 "
Mac OS X 10.6.8.
ProTools 10.2.