Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Saturation, Analog Warmth, etc. plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
OK I feel like an idiot for not knowing this guy's products. Great quality and nice independent developer, which I like to support.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:31 PM

There's lots of options even with stock plug-ins like LoFi, SansAmp or AIR Distortion.

Tony's (Klanghelm) IVG2 is outstanding. I also use his MJUC (dirt cheap) just for the distortion/saturation. SofTube has a free SaturationKnob plug-in.

And let's not forget an old-but-gold, go-to; https://www.masseyplugins.com/plugin/tapehead

The demo is free and limited only in its capacity to recall settings.

Most of my recipe's for 'Analogue Warmth' start with; "LoPass Filter @ 12.5/16kHz".

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 09-06-2017, 10:45 PM

Im demoing SoftTube's Tape plugin and I'm really liking it. Sounds better than McDSP Analog Channel. It's ok for some things but Tape is good for almost everything I've tried so far.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:48 PM

I have far too many of these style of plugins. Actually, I have far too many of every style of plugin!! Haha!!

There's beauty to be had in each.

My ultimate plan is to get to know each one well enough so I can develop my own poor man's multiband harmonic processor out of various constituent plugins. Kind of like my own variation of the Waves Vitamin concept, but hopefully an improvement on the idea. I hope to build the resulting processes into my project templates.

Well that's the idea. It's just a matter of slowly developing it over time and fine tuning it.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
I have far too many of these style of plugins. Actually, I have far too many of every style of plugin!! Haha!!

My ultimate plan is to get to know each one well enough so I can develop my own poor man's multiband harmonic processor out of various constituent plugins. Kind of like my own variation of the Waves Vitamin concept, but hopefully an improvement on the idea. I hope to build the resulting processes into my project templates.

Well that's the idea. It's just a matter of slowly developing it over time and fine tuning it.
You can start with Blue Cat MB7 and go from there. I did that so I could have a multi-band compressor with customizable characteristics. My actual chain was BC Patchwork hosting MB7-2 with MB7-2 set for four bands. In each of those bands I had both an LA2A emulation and an 1176 emulation and by way of each of those plugins I could enable or disable each one separately. And at the end of the chain and back in Patchwork I had the Blue Cat Protector limiter. Except in your case substitute the warmth plugin of your choice.

The danger of doing this is you can really muck up your sound if you aren't careful.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Patchwork is a nice idea actually. I might look into it.

Initially I was just planning to have them on different auxes and just push them up and down to taste. That was the ultimate goal anyway.

You're right, you can have too much of a good thing. Fortunately for me though, I tend to err on the side of caution. Meaning I tend not to over compress anything, I more under compress!! Same with saturation.

But hey, that's why I come back to these things with fresh ears and reassess everything before I finally commit.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:25 AM

Along these lines and because I mentioned it earlier PSP has kicked out an update for Vintage Warmer 2 - look at your user account and it should be there.

QAPLA!
Old 09-11-2017, 12:17 AM

Fabfilter Saturn is a saturation and harmonic processing plugin that offers a multiband design. I haven't used it, but lots of people like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post

Old 09-11-2017, 01:12 AM

I am a big fan of Ployteq AROMA...and use it all the time.

It features more Saturation Algos...Triode, Tube, Tabe and a more aggresive Algo...
The sound is fantastic. It reminds me of the Cranesong Products...
Mixing the different flavours makes it totally flexible...

Other plugins, i use, are HEAT...and sometimes MH Character, AC (rare, cause it doesn´t fit in every situation)
I also have the Waves Tapes, but they sound more digital in my opinion...

You shoud try out Hornet Tape. Its cheap and sounds great...
Old 09-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy-T View Post
There's lots of options even with stock plug-ins like LoFi, SansAmp or AIR Distortion.
Its a little amazing how popular these things still are.