Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Employment

Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM

Default Pro Tools Certification Qualifications

I got into Music Production last year with Ableton Live. In the last month I have switched over to Pro Tools 11. After doing a bunch of research I'm very interested in it and have a couple questions about the certification program I couldn't find online.

I know you need to pass 100, 200, and 300 level classes and the exams to become certified, I'm in 101 right now.

How long does it take to complete the program on average? How many classes are there in total?

I'm currently in college and have two more summers left. If I started the track to finish the Pro Tools Certification Curriculum now, how qualified would I be for an internship two summers from now?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Certification Qualifications

There are several places where you can take the classes in a shorter period. One is Audiograph International in Santa Monica, CA.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 07-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno008 View Post
If I started the track to finish the Pro Tools Certification Curriculum now, how qualified would I be for an internship two summers from now?
It doesn't matter, if you're good, no certification needed. Really.

Having the certification means you should know this tool very well, but it doesn't says if you are good at the studio
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 07-16-2014, 04:31 PM

I went to Audio Graphic for cert training. Chilitos is awesome!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 AM

You can take the classes as a few full days (more expensive this way, but will get you through it quickly), or as a semester of several shorter classes. It depends on the school you chose.

I took the classes over 10 years ago, and have never once been asked if I am PT certified or not. Don't get me wrong, I do think the classes were useful in helping me learn the program, but whether or not you have the certification itself is not a deal breaker in getting hired. Giving a sample of your work that is relevant to the job you want is far more important.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I took the classes over 10 years ago, and have never once been asked if I am PT certified or not. Don't get me wrong, I do think the classes were useful in helping me learn the program, but whether or not you have the certification itself is not a deal breaker in getting hired.
It can be useful. When the music school at a university that I was teaching in a few years back decided to start an audio production course for jazz majors, I was the only faculty member in the music department that had Pro Tools certification; They gave me the job.

I would suggest taking the individual courses over a period of time. I am not a fan of accelerated programs.