Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Is HD for Me?

Yeahppp.. @ this point of where computer power is u almost wouldn't benefit from having HD3 or 4 for that matter... I have HD3 @ my Nashville studio & compared to what I'm able to do on my native rig, its really no comparison...

& too, I have a lot of analog gear... 18i/o is the only drawback if thatz what u want to call it but even when tracking on the HD rig we never go over that so w/that & patchbays all of my analog gear gets much usage... & ur gonna have som1 chime in harking about Delay comp but I've never been bothered by it...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-07-2009, 10:19 AM

IS Pro Tools HD for you? Honestly, I can't personally answer that for you on a forum----it takes actual one-on-one consultation and discussions for me and my clients to truly answer that kind of a question, but I can offer at least some general input. I will say this----there are many incredible recording systems out there, I've used pretty much everything over the years from Fairlight FAME to full-blown ICON rigs, Logic, DP, Samplitude, Cubase, Sonar, etc. Because I'm also a consultant, I speak with SO many users and hear all of the "whys" which many times is the wrong reason to want Pro Tools HD. When I ask "why", it's so they can get a professional system the typical response is something to the point that it will give them a professional sound. Well the reality is, Pro Tools HD does sound amazing, is very powerful, and has a lot of stuff it can do----but unless you've invested the money into your mics, pres, and outboard gear, a good room, etc----it's just another DAW.

Okay, with that said.... I find that working in PTHD is lightning fast, I have practically no limitations, I'm not limited to latency issues that I would have natively, I don't worry about floating processing available because I have predictable and guaranteed processing, I'm using A SYSTEM that everything talks together as A SYSTEM instead of multiple products working with third-party drivers trying to work as one product. Personally, I wouldn't consider anything but Pro Tools HD for my own stuff. In fact for what I do, there isn't another system for me. But I can't say that for you, at least not at this point. I can say this..... there's a lot of information and mis-information as to the REAL differences between any native system and Pro Tools HD. There is a reason why third-party DSP processing options exist, and they do generally sound better over native plugins. Well, PTHD has this kind of processing built into the structure of the environment from from to back as opposed to using hardware from company A software from company B, plugins from companies C through R using a third-party driver, etc. For some, that's just fine....for me, it's not. You have to come to that decision for yourself.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
There is a reason why third-party DSP processing options exist, and they do generally sound better over native plugins. . You have to come to that decision for yourself.
Yeah, in existence for a century now & are being blown away by native comp power hands down which is fact & not opinion... & opinion is TDM plugs sound better b/c to me, others, there is no differences...

I will agree that the OP has to come to a decision himself although seeming he has already bought the cards & then come here to ask was/is a little backwards I think

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Well as others have stated, an HD1 has about 1/4 of the available "Voicable Headroom" as your LE rig had, for Track Counts, on Mixing sessions.

However, if your end objective is to open a "Pro Tracking Studio" then HD "is for you" you're headded in the right direction, but save up for AT LEAST 1 Accel card, you won't be able to Mix your sessions, but tracking through your 192 i/o - using realtime HW inserts, is the only real way to go, if you're running a tracking room.

You can get alot done in "Mix world" with 192 voices, which is HD2 or more, I believe an HD1 or "Just Core" card only gives you 96 voices, and on TDM - EVERYTHING takes a voice... sometimes ONE RTAS plugin on an aux takes 4 Voices... that 96 will get eaten up pretty quick.

I've got an HD2 at home, and I'm generally ok with 80 - 90 track sessions, Full of plugins - Delay compensation, and Analog HW inserts on Paralell Busses etc... with your gear will also be a pretty big PayOff.

Enjoy your trip into HD - save up for an Accel card, if you want the same "Headroom your LE rig had"

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 AM

So even tho Im looking for speed and processing power, should I just hold on to the core card, pimp out my native system, and go with an HD 5+ when I have the extra$?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 AM

When I refer to "speed", I'm referring to PT in general for editing and system workflow. A PTHD system has many benefits, but it doesn't mean it's the right system for you......maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Unfortunately, a forum really isn't the best place for you to decide your future studio needs.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Unfortunately, a forum really isn't the best place for you to decide your future studio needs.
This should be a sticky on ALLLL forums...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
This should be a sticky on ALLLL forums...
You know that what he means by that is he wants to corner someone on the telephone and hard-sell them high-spiff merch in the absence of voices of reason like my own.

A forum is an outstanding place to avoid wasting money.

NativeLuv (nice nick), you ought to return or sell that HD card ASAP. Its value may drop a digit a week...
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
You know that what he means by that is he wants to corner someone on the telephone and hard-sell them high-spiff merch in the absence of voices of reason like my own.

A forum is an outstanding place to avoid wasting money.

NativLuv (nice nick), you ought to return or sell that HD card ASAP. Its value may drop a digit a week...
LMAO... Only u Pepp

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 PM

hd does have beautiful() i/o options which would suit a real world studio down the road.
like i originally said, hd1 ........ no bang for the buck
hd 2......... not much better
hd3.......... starts getting you back to your le rig
hd4............. i can breath now
hd5............ cool

also remember with your tremendous outlay of moo lah ,you get to expierience the joys of the most fragile daw software going,
kinda slow workflow compared to other daws and a host of other shortcomings,bugs,extremely poor rtas performance, crashes,access violations,etc ,etc

THIS IS NOT A GOOD TIME FOR PROTOOLS LET HOPE THINGS CHANGE

this my friend is the cold hard facts.don't let anyone give you a snow job. especially when it comes to how powerful an hd system is. pound for pound an i7 build will eat it for lunch

accel card gives you....... 36 dverbs at retail off $5,000
my numbers may be off but you get the pic
i7 will give you a gazillion dverbs

also ,down the road upgrading your now hd card to something new ,if it comes out will prob cost a fortune. prob not a good investment now or anytime in the future for hd cards

look at alll the people that bought very exspensive procontrols a few short years ago.... digi may drop support for it at anytime.. what a crime

lets hope things change,
lets hope things change,
lets hope things change,
lets hope things change,
lets hope things change,v
there's no place like home
lets hope things change,
lets hope things change,
lets hope things change,