Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 12:23 PM

Default New user account in Tiger!? Help Digi!

posted this in the Pro Tools LE 6.9.2 Update for Mac OS X Tiger thread - no response, so I'm trying here:

Hello Digi,
I just installed 10.4.2 & 6.9.2 and followed ALL the trouble shooting & set-up tips to the letter.
The final tip of creating a new user account has me up and running !

In my usual user account PTLE quits unexpectedly on launch - just a bouncing dock icon for a few secs, then the 'app has quit' window.

Any tips as to how I can make PT run on my main user account? It took me ages to set up how I want it and it's a pain to have to keep switching

I'm using an Mbox 1 on a 1.5ghz Powerbook 512 ram.

Thanks in advance.......
Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Avid

Default Re: New user account in Tiger!? Help Digi!

The problem is that there is a corrupt preference file associated with your main account and you'd have to determine which one it is, which isn't going to be easy.

What I would probably do (and prepare yourself for some tedious times ahead..), is remove 1/2 of the preferences from your preferences folder, then restart and launch Pro Tools - if it launches, then you know that the corrupt preference is in the 1/2 that you removed. If it doesn't then you know it's in the 1/2 that are still there.

Continue with dividing by half until you locate the culprit, trash it and you should be good to go.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:18 PM

Hello Digi,
Thanks for your reply, I just tried emptying the entire contents of the preferences folder in my main user account to the trash, but the problem persists. Any other ideas?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Avid

The only other possibility I can think of is that it's something in your user Library folder (MacHD>Users>your account>Library) that's the problem. How to deal with that, well, I can't say that I have a suggested method. I don't know what can or cannot be removed safely, so you may take a look and try to suss it out logically. I'd suspect the Caches and Application Support folders would be the first place to start.