Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM

Dear "corp". If you changed the dosage on your medication recently, just a little note: IT IS NOT WORKING.

--

How much more incoherent rambling sprayed across so many threads do we have to put up with? DTS please....

Darryl
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Transition to AAX: A Real Programmer's Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post

• What was the time between HD introduction and HDX......?

I believe TDM was introduced in 2003... so 8 years?

Quote:
  • Does a Avid "beta tester" test before or after a release date.......?
Well I should hope before... that's kinda the point.

Quote:
  • Is it common for "beta testers" to hang out on this site......?
I wouldn't know.

When I said I did beta testing, I was talking about plugins, not Pro Tools itself. I wish I got to beta test Pro Tools, it would be nice to have some actual input in development.

What I'm saying... is that it was necessary for a transitional Pro Tools release, so that plugin developers could have a chance to develop and test AAX in an environment that is publicly available. Otherwise, testing would have to be extremely closed and secretive and not every developer would have a chance to do so. Meaning, if Pro Tools went straight from TDM/RTAS to AAX without giving the public a chance to make the transition, no one would have bought the next version since there would not have been any plugins available at all, and people would have been sitting on their hands waiting for plugins to come out.

Right now, I am currently testing more than a few plugins that are getting ready to release AAX versions. This would not happen if PT10 didn't happen. The list of AAX plugins continues to grow, and should be fairly complete by the time PT11 comes around. I'm not worried.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-14-2012, 06:57 PM

Cool Re: Transition to AAX: A Real Programmer's Perspective

Darryl,

If you're having trouble answering questions then just move on.......your irrelevant.

Again, DTS will say or do nothing about your childish comments and protect only who follow lock and step...... Just look at as soon as "Dnnspv" made comments about Avid the usually crew comes in and attacks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Dear "corp". If you changed the dosage on your medication recently, just a little note: IT IS NOT WORKING.

--

How much more incoherent rambling sprayed across so many threads do we have to put up with? DTS please....

Darryl
Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 PM

Dism,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I believe TDM was introduced in 2003... so 8 years?
I didn't write TDM but HD...? 1950 would be TDM......Lol

Quote:
Well I should hope before... that's kinda the point.
I realize it should be before that's why I put a "Lol" after... but my point is Avid has had enough time to design a new system. This is why I
was asking about the HD release which I think was around 2002(I think?) making plenty of time to get their ducks in a row. If Avid was going to make a major change (AAX) then they should of released a 64bit AAX version with many other expected features. Avid should of got many plug-ins companies on board and where they could of tested before release (they didn't). What happen with Waves plug-ins which many people use...?? Are they waiting for 64bit?? Instead, we get a half baked system that's going to change again with 64bit and with new plugs again, new bugs, extra fee's... Why do think many have not upgraded ....? It wasn't just about price because many studio's have the money but about what was being offered for the money (not much). There's many who visit this site that I converse with through private emails just like "get76" who is aware what's going on here but you keep screaming with your buddies about how great Avid is with the new release. Avid should realize that I'm one of many who's going to dump a big chunk of capital on a system(s) and if they keep playing these silly marketing games the company will get worst then it's present state!

Quote:
I wouldn't know.

When I said I did beta testing, I was talking about plugins, not Pro Tools itself. I wish I got to beta test Pro Tools, it would be nice to have some actual input in development.

What I'm saying... is that it was necessary for a transitional Pro Tools release, so that plugin developers could have a chance to develop and test AAX in an environment that is publicly available. Otherwise, testing would have to be extremely closed and secretive and not every developer would have a chance to do so. Meaning, if Pro Tools went straight from TDM/RTAS to AAX without giving the public a chance to make the transition, no one would have bought the next version since there would not have been any plugins available at all, and people would have been sitting on their hands waiting for plugins to come out.

Right now, I am currently testing more than a few plugins that are getting ready to release AAX versions. This would not happen if PT10 didn't happen. The list of AAX plugins continues to grow, and should be fairly complete by the time PT11 comes around. I'm not worried.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Dnnspv,

As you can see there's no room for opinion only the drone mentality then DTS either blocks or locks thread.
Are you done attacking and implying things about people? The only reason why DTS locks threads, is because -you- force him to by your constant attacks, and flame wars. And he did give you an open warning in one of the thread he was forced to close.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 PM

You're missing the point...

Most plugin companies don't have paid, closed beta teams. There is no way they could have tested AAX without a usable version they distrubute. Which means, not only do they have to be responsible for their own discretion, but of Avid's as well. Which means Avid has to put faith in dozens of 3rd party companies to not leak unfinished versions of Pro Tools. This is HIGHLY impractical for both Avid and plugin developers. It wouldn't be cost effective, it would involve massive secrecy, and not everyone would have a chance to be involved. There are a number of developers that aren't anything more than a couple guys writing plugins. So they rely on publicly available versions to write with, and community members to test. If AAX wasn't public... How would they be able to deliver a product by the time PT11 comes around?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-14-2012, 08:05 PM

Cool Re: Transition to AAX: A Real Programmer's Perspective

Emcha_audio,

I guess you just couldn't resist to get in on this thread......isn't there other threads you could post on ? amazing....

Dnnspv,

See....It's always the same people....... they make my point everytime...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Gonna have to disagree. The very same day PT10 was release I created a sticky explaining that PT10 provides a bridge for AAX. There's no way a year would have been enough time to develop AAX with zero user input. PT10 allows users from both the native and DSP crowds to get their feet wet without having to abandon their old plugins all at once.

Perhaps it's not as "clean" a transition, but it's easier on both developers and users to decide what works best for them. I wouldn't be able to beta test for plugin developers who are making the transition to AAX, (nor would anyone else) since no version of Pro Tools would exist to host the platform. Then, a new version of Pro Tools would suddenly appear with a new, completely untested format, and plugin developers would be expected to have working versions on the same day with zero input from the community. If that didn't happen... NO ONE would buy the next version of Pro Tools for lack of support and testing.
Yes Dism. I remember that and you were very smart to figure that out. But again it came after the release, after the push back, and after DTS initially said PT10 was mostly for post. I first read of the "bridge" from a user post on an unofficial Avid forum. Only then did it become "the reason" and a sticky. It was like Avid said, "Oh yeah, that's why Dism. That makes sense. Whew, we had no idea what say to all this push back. Sticky that!" This is why I say after the fact the bridge talk made sense, but I never bought it. You call PT10 the getting your feet wet version. I still think it all could have been done without another major 32 bit release, but the major release was the perfect reason to sell HDX (with no plugins). They could have made the same announcement on PT9.x, waited 2 years, built up the buzz for PT10 64 bit, and come out with a few PT9 point releases in the meantime. PT9 was a huge release for Avid that could have carried them a few years at least. I will not dwell on the past though as things seem to be moving along now. Only commented on Darryl's post.

Quote:
Dnnspv,

As you can see there's no room for opinion only the drone mentality then DTS either blocks or locks thread.

You bring up valid points but they'll be taken out of context by saying your against Avid or your "technically clueless " and not as an opinion ..........
LOL I don't feel that way. It's all just opinions.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Companies use confidential agreements all the time .......A company like Waves I believe would of worked with this type of agreement but I believe there's more going on Avid which people on the outside don't realize...

What about all the outsourcing going with the development of PT10...?

Quote:
Avid has to put faith
I think it's a bit more than just putting faith into a company...

Quote:
You're missing the point...

Most plugin companies don't have paid, closed beta teams. There is no way they could have tested AAX without a usable version they distrubute. Which means, not only do they have to be responsible for their own discretion, but of Avid's as well. Which means Avid has to put faith in dozens of 3rd party companies to not leak unfinished versions of Pro Tools. This is HIGHLY impractical for both Avid and plugin developers. It wouldn't be cost effective, it would involve massive secrecy, and not everyone would have a chance to be involved. There are a number of developers that aren't anything more than a couple guys writing plugins. So they rely on publicly available versions to write with, and community members to test. If AAX wasn't public... How would they be able to deliver a product by the time PT11 comes around?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Wink Re: Transition to AAX: A Real Programmer's Perspective

Dnnspv,

Don't push to hard because feathers get ruffled so easliy.....