Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2010, 03:24 PM

Default D-Show FWx with 002

I'm considering replacing a PM1D with a D-Show. I need a bit more than 16 I/O's at FOH. I have a 002. Is it possible with the FWx option to use a 002 as extra I/O ?

I need to have 2 stage racks on stage.

Thanks

BrianS
PT 9.03 Mac OS 10.6 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8...HD3 accel. 48 channels Yamaha AD8HR feeding 3 Digidesign digital 192's. Apogee AD16HDX DA16HDX. Digidesign 96I/O. Neve, Chandler, API, Pendulum, Manley, Cranseong, Yamaha DM2000, more...
Old 04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Avid

Default Re: D-Show FWx with 002

Hi Brian,

Connecting a 002 to the FWx port won't give more I/O, unfortunately. Both the 002 and FWx are intended to connect directly to Pro Tools, and not to each other.

With the optional IOx card installed in a FOH Rack a total of 18 analog I/O plus 10 AES digital I/O are available. An external converter, such as an OctoPre, can be used to convert analog to digital so the add'l AES inputs can be used.

Sheldon
Old 04-14-2010, 06:27 PM

I need extra analog outs more so than the inputs. I never thought about using outboard D to A. Seems like that could work. Maybe not very elegant. Are the Digital outs on the FOH rack available to be patched to from all Aux/buss or matrices?
PT 9.03 Mac OS 10.6 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8...HD3 accel. 48 channels Yamaha AD8HR feeding 3 Digidesign digital 192's. Apogee AD16HDX DA16HDX. Digidesign 96I/O. Neve, Chandler, API, Pendulum, Manley, Cranseong, Yamaha DM2000, more...
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Brian,
Yes, you could patch any of the console busses to those outputs...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Brian,

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on your decision to upgrade. I've used that other console you speak of quite a bit, it's a nice board once you learn how to operate and work within the way it was intended to make you work. That's the FIRST thing you'll love about the DShow console is that it's easy to get around, provides an elegant and fast work-flow, and well....what I love the most is just how great it sounds! The Venue console doesn't sound sterile, it's very clear and open---with a good bottom-end, too! My clients love when I put Venue consoles into their facilities for the very same reasons.

May I ask what you need the outputs for? What exactly is it that you're trying to do? How are you setup with your PM1D now and what has you thinking the Venue? Maybe then we'll have a better understanding and can further assist you with the correct, appropriate answers.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:39 AM

Hi, in case you are planning to do you speaker management thru the console, I would consider getting a separate device for that instead. People will be showing up with pre-programmed showfiles and it will be a lot of work to get the system running again after loading their files as there is no way to import just a selection of the showfile like output patching so all the work needs to be done by hand.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
May I ask what you need the outputs for? What exactly is it that you're trying to do? How are you setup with your PM1D now and what has you thinking the Venue? Maybe then we'll have a better understanding and can further assist you with the correct, appropriate answers.
It's a fairly complex system. We have a Meyer Mellodie Rig For FOH. I'm running 8 stereo IEM and usually 4 wedge mixes. I sometimes need more wedge mixes and I'm setup to be able to do 8 wedge mixes along with the 8 stereo IEM. I do all this from FOH at the moment. The interface for all of this is backstage. If I go with the Venue I'm planning on putting in a monitor console because of the limited number of mixes available on the Venue.

As far as mixes/outputs/interface at FOH... We also have what used to be called LCS VRAS system, now called the Constellation. Its over 100 individually assignable speakers around the auditorium controlled by Cue Station software. All of this is cobranet, however my path into that system is analog. I currently have 16 bus/mix inputs to this system that allows me to dial up unique "surround" and FX mixes throughout the auditorium. There is also a stereo bus feed into this system for Delay rings. We also have various distributed mixes that are essentially a stereo buss mix but need to have unique output and mute capabilities. The distributed mixes include atrium, buffer zones, restrooms, assisted listening systems, and more. These mixes are interfaced through a combination of the LCS system and QSC Basis.

Im using most of the 48 mix buses and several matrix buses on the PM1D to accomplish this. I'm also using most of the 64 outputs from the PM1D.

Speaker management is a combination of Galileo, QSC Basis, LCS
Old 04-18-2010, 07:47 AM

and your doing this with a single operator... that is impressive, or insane.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 AM

One operator.....It's big fun!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
One operator.....It's big fun!
Hopefully Avid will come out soon with a bigger new live system for guys like you
Jokes aside, as I have noticed going out seeing touring gigs that other consoles pop up more and more instead of Venues. I just saw a Metallica show today and there were Digico's for support acts and Midas for the big M. I had a chat with Big Mick and he said Midas is the only digital he would use. We need that to change, we need new badass Venuses - 192khz, 192 busses, lots of faders (closer together this time please), lots of screens and metering, lots of different digital options etc, etc, you get the picture. Anytime soon Sheldon?

Sorry for the OT