Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Restoring DATa backups

Yes, I let the Restore-option run for at least an hour, but it keeps on saying 'Reading Header...'
All slots except for Slot 0 are greyed out. All is on version 5.1 (Digi Init, DAE).
Quote:
it alternates samples to the L and R tracks. There might even be a way to fix that.
What are you thinking of?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:43 PM

> I let the Restore-option run for at least an hour, but it keeps on saying 'Reading Header...' <

Sorry for a basic question here... Did you hit play on the DAT Machine after selecting Restore? DATa doesn't start the deck.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 PM

Sure, I know that. Tried several times both from the ID and the start of the tape. Either the header is damaged (?) or there is some other incompatibility playing up here... I remember I took care of good quality DAT-tape and a reliable recorder back in 1996. Like you said before: what trick could I use to handle 'interleaved mono files' if present in this backup? (don't remember whether I used this option).
Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 PM

> Sure, I know that. Tried several times both from the ID and the start of the tape.

Thanks, I had to ask. If it doesn't respond to the header (start restoring) then you can stop the DAT - it won't help to let it play.

> Like you said before: what trick could I use to handle 'interleaved mono files' if present in this backup? (don't remember whether I used this option).

If 'interleave' was off, you should be able to just transfer the audio. If 'interleaseve' was on, you could transfer the audio into a stereo app then use ResEdit to change the Channel resource from 2 to 1 which would put the samples back in the correct order in a mono file. (In either case, you'd lose the start/end points of the files and have to edit them.) Do you happen to have Sound Designer II on that computer?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:47 AM

No SDII, lost my key-disks years ago. But I'll import the DAT into my studio-rig and I can use Soundhack to change the header, if need be.
Wouln't it be possible to just sum the L&R channels to mono?

And what about the speed? It sounds like it's 2x?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:46 PM

If it sounds like it's 2x, then you probably used 'interleave' which alternates samples to the L and R tracks to speed up the backup/restore. Transferring this in as a stereo file and editing the resource might get you back in business.

I'll contact you directly to follow up...