Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-25-2017, 02:52 PM

Default Re: PT12 Play Start/Stop Lag

@Ray_JB
Yes, I did indeed install the HD driver. This is a clean build from scratch, so there is no trace of the BM driver. Totally out of the equation.

I’m really appreciating your help on this, fellas!
Old 10-25-2017, 02:53 PM

What audio interfaces are you using?
Old 10-25-2017, 03:30 PM

Avid HD I/O. I may not have mentioned, but we are all on HDX.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 PM

Can you post a screenshot of your Session Setup (Command-2) window with all windows maximised?

Last edited by Ray JB; 10-25-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: missed somethang
Old 10-25-2017, 04:04 PM

Here's a shot. Took the SyncHD offline. You can see the delay is tied to compensation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Session Setup.jpeg (75.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 PM

That's quite a big system delay (341 ms approx). I take it you are using quite a lot of bussing and plug-ins? With an empty session with no plug-ins and just a video track with your pix are you still getting the same system delay? Seems high to me.

When you say a blank session (as before) are you talking about a house template session with limiters/processing etc? I've noticed laggy playback with spectrum analysers/Izotope Insight etc. Anything on your master buss inserts?

Could you do me a favour and make a real blank session with no audio tracks, and 1 video track. Disable video hardware, just use desktop video playback, and check your system delay then and report it back? Then enable your video hardware and check that system delay?

Cheers
R
Old 10-25-2017, 04:21 PM

Also have you trashed all PT prefs as well using this program? Vape everything and restart.

http://petegates.com/pg-pt-prefs.html
Old 10-25-2017, 04:53 PM

You're a good man for staying with me on this, brother!

Yeah, trashed them a few times now.

The lag follows the delay comp to whatever degree. So, by disabling video hardware and/or delay comp (or the i/o, as we've just come to find out), the play/stop is very quick.

In a blank session (no routing, no plugs), the system is very quick, although, it does still lag more when changing playhead positions.

True, there is quite a lot going on in our sessions, and we are replacing a number of plugs that cause unnecessarily long delay, (i.e., iZoptope) but the lag is SO much longer than in PT10, that I'm finding it hard to sell making this update to the team. Also, I'm guessing there are a number of people running large sessions without lag issues.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:14 PM

My two cents here, not totally relevant to the present case, but maybe it can explain discrepancies between responsiveness PT10 vs PT12.

In PT10, Waves plugins were available as TDM (before waves 9.6 I believe), this would make the total system delay more reasonable if you used them as such. When converting to waves native (after upgrading to PT11 or PT12...), if not properly managed, those plugins can create enormous system delay (just like the 16000 samples shown in the OP's session setup), and although ADC still works as advertised, lag is very noticeable when writing automation or starting playback.

Options are :
- managing native plugins to make sure you don't make too much back and forth between native and HDX on the same strip
- reducing h/w buffer size to reduce total system delay (as long as your cpu can take it without 9173s...)

Last edited by leopod; 11-01-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:09 PM

Gentlemen.
I have done the work. Tried to go from 10.8.5 up. Even paid for a AViD tech call. The issue is Avid PT Video, which I understand is still 32bit.
They have left my case open.
I Have now tested up to 12.7 and up to high sierra on clean 5.1 Tower 266/64 Ram. With only PT in the system, when you add even the video track empty, the .5-.8 delay comes in (You can see this data on the PT controls. ) which makes it really useless for fast dialog and SFX Effects editing to pic. Anybody try VS3 for video? AND Black magic is not an issue here.
Thanks