Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Mixing Tips Needed

This is a question for Waltz. Do you do Stem Mastering ??? I've never heard of it before, but sounds very interesting - If it can be pulled off. For example, I have a mix I'm happy with, but because I use a DAW, I might be able to benefit from the equipment used by the Mastering Engineer to improve the overall sound of my Recording. What say you ?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_TC_TC View Post
This is a question for Waltz. Do you do Stem Mastering ??? I've never heard of it before, but sounds very interesting - If it can be pulled off. For example, I have a mix I'm happy with, but because I use a DAW, I might be able to benefit from the equipment used by the Mastering Engineer to improve the overall sound of my Recording. What say you ?
Yes. I've done a fair amount. Stem mastering can be beneficial. The most common is vocal stem + instrumental stem. ...or if there are low end issues where someone might not have a room that makes it easy to judge,.. then having the bass and kick separate from the stereo mix can work in a stem mastering situation. It really depends, but whether it's a stereo mix or stems the goal is really to respect the intentions of the artist to achieve the best possible outcome.

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 10-18-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_TC_TC View Post
I for one love all the Foo Fighters Album. My Favorite being the 2nd Album. Up until that 2nd album I thought Rock was lost forever. I have a hard time finding music that I really like on the radio. And when I do I can't remember the Artist name because they're not that known. But I like Green Day, Cold Play, Lady Antebellum, Maroon 5, Weezer, the New Stevie Nicks, Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, Florida Georgia Line, are current Acts that I like their styles & production.
That's a good range of material and some of it sounds very good.

I think the trend these days is to try and do all the aspects of production yourself because the tools are available. In reality I think is outstanding to be proficient or successful at any "one" aspect of record making.

To be very good at them all: songwriting, performing, production, recording, mixing, or mastering is very rare and it does take time to develop these individual skills even at an entry level.

If you think of any records in rotation or on the charts where most of the work was handled by a one self contained artist, there is only a handful I can think of. Prince, Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree), Skrillex, Todd Rundgren...

So I'd say if it's for demo's or friends and family there's no harm in giving it a shot, but on a professional level, there's almost always a team effort involved.

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 10-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I think the trend these days is to try and do all the aspects of production yourself because the tools are available. In reality I think is outstanding to be proficient or successful at any "one" aspect of record making.

To be very good at them all: songwriting, performing, production, recording, mixing, or mastering is very rare and it does take time to develop these individual skills even at an entry level.

If you think of any records in rotation or on the charts where most of the work was handled by a one self contained artist, there is only a handful I can think of. Prince, Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree), Skrillex, Todd Rundgren...

So I'd say if it's for demo's or friends and family there's no harm in giving it a shot, but on a professional level, there's almost always a team effort involved.
Well said!

I've spent years to get to a point where I feel at home playing music on stage, arranging and producing, engineering and mixing. I see it as a spiral process - at the entry level I concentrated at each area specifically while abandoning the others completely for that period, and today it's kind of happening all together in peace, step by step.

While I try to be as focused as I can, narrowing down on specific genres and production styles, I wouldn't dare stepping into mastering or other media work.

Sometimes I see others who do everything, like "I will arrange and produce your song, record it, play all instruments, mix, master, film, direct and edit your video and all that while making gourmet coffee", and it's sad because they do it all for the price of one day in the studio, and most of the time the end result is as exciting as a blue denim.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Waltz. I agree with you. My best work is with a Team. We are all limited in some way and as a Team we can benefit from each others ideas & expertise. I come up with ideas, songs, melodies, riffs, etc and find friends to help me put them together and gain from their experiences. If I had a Specialty, I would say it is listening to Music. All types of music & take sounds that I like and incorporate them into a project. I know I'm not the only one who does this. But that's why I enjoy such a wide range of Music. Not many people are aware of Jimmy Spheeris. I don't even remember how I came across his Music. But I love his work because it is ORIGINAL and a totally Different Landscape. The only thing I can think of in recent years that became so popular because it was so fresh is Clocks, very unique. Also, Ganhnam Style, very unique although similar to Can't Touch This. I can't think of anything right now that was so unique & you would hear everywhere you went. I'm comparing Clocks to songs like, Pennsylvania 65000, Somewhere Over the Rainbow Judy Garland, Wonderful World Nat King Cole, Moon River Andy Williams, Yesterday the Beatles, Night at the Opera Queen, and countless other that they were so unique when they were released & the Whole World Love the songs. Even when Teenagers hear them for the 1st time in their life they are Amazed. My 10 year old son said to me, "I heard this awesome new song on the radio by an artist named CAT STEVENS." HE had no idea the song was a World Wide Hit in the 1970's or that the song was written in the 1931 and the tune was traditionally a Gaelic Christmas Melody. Or that Rick Wakeman was the piano player on the recording. To him it was, Fresh & Awesome. Who would believe it ???