Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2002, 01:46 PM

Default How to tell PTLE to read from a specific drive???

Ok, I know this has been covered before but I cannot seem to find the threads.

I saved a session and corresponding audio files from my main internal work drive to an external FireWire drive. I wanted to make sure that the session got copied properly and would play soley from the firewire drive alone. I opened the session from the firewire drive and ran it... but noticed in the regions pathname window that the session was still reading the audio files from my internal work drive and not from the firewire drive. I want to force the session to play the audio files that are on the firewire drive and NOT the internal drive. I used to think that re-adjusting the allocation would accomplish this, but it seems that the allocation thing only has to do with what drive the session writes to, not with what drive the session reads from. Or... is there a way I can somehow "lock" my internal drive so that the session from the firewire drive cannot get to the files on the internal drive? Of course if I were doing this in reverse, I could merely shut off the firewire drive... then the session could not access the firewire files and would prompt me to select what drive and path to read from... but... how can I do this with an internal drive? Is there a way to "shut it off", or to somehow lock it so that the firewire drive cannot read the files from it? If I remember correctly, I think there was a post from digi a long time ago, basically admitting that this is a fault in PTLE, the fact that you cannot specifically select what drive to read from.... and you need to play games to make it do what you want it to. Or... I just installed 5.2... has anything been changed with 5.2? Maybe they added something that allows you to select what drive to read from? Or am I just overlooking something really simple here? Thanks - imp
Old 10-22-2002, 01:50 PM

Default Re: How to tell PTLE to read from a specific drive???

Close PT. Open the session from the FW drive.

The entire session folder must be copied exactly to the FW drive (or any drive) for PT to run the session. Also, your FW drive must be compatible for read/write wtih PT. Search the DUC for comaptible drives.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:25 PM

<< Close PT. Open the session from the FW drive >>
----------------

Ok... but it seems that I can never open PTLE by just clicking on a session file FIRST... I get various errors when I do this and it doesn't work. This may have to do with the fact that most of my sessions are HUGE, 14 GB or more, zillions of regions... this causes a lot of stress on everything it seems... but ultimately works if dealt with lovingly. My system is tip top and hot-rodded to the max. I always need to open PTLE first by clicking on the PTLE icon on my desktop, and THEN open the session next.... and then a large session will sometimes take over 30 seconds to open as the session finds all the zillions of regions... but it DOES finally open and work fine this way. With small sessions this is not a problem. Anyway... point is, I cannot open PTLE by just clicking the session, so I cannot try your suggestion. Well, I'll give it a shot anyway, but I think I may have a problem. Thanks! -imp
Old 10-22-2002, 04:54 PM

After you have copied the whole session to the FW drive, put the original session folder from your main drive in the trash can.
Then when you open the new session on the FW drive, PT won't find the original files, so it will look in the audio files folder on the FW drive.
Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2002, 06:01 AM

I'm not sure which system you're using, and I'm pretty new at this, but I think we have the same problem. I've saved all my sessions to my FW driveand trashed them from my main drive, with disastrous results when I tried to add tracks. I've got a string going called "where's my ****ing audio files" that has some good tips in it. I'm still a little confused, but I'm learning.