Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM

Default Authorization errors

I'm not a fan of your authentication system; it's getting in the way of me actually using your product. I own an iLok, ProTools used to run on this Mac, but now I'm gettting a "requires authorization to run" message.

I had paid for support when I was having trouble with my FW1814 and Fast Track Pro over a year ago, but your techs couldn't resolve the issue, even after I purchased the 9.x upgrade and updated my drivers. Both interfaces worked fine with Logic so I haven't been using ProTools. I recently sold off my FTP and bought a Focusrite interface, so I thought I'd make use of my $$$ worth of plugins but all attempts to work with ProTools tonight have been a failure because of your Challenge Response system. Talk about killing the mood

LAWS FALL DOOM ASH HIDE JOCK MUCH COY FANG SORE FAR BOYS MEN STIR YIN NUT TROY MOSS EGO SPAN CAFE BADE BALK END TREK SCUM NOEL MANY CHIP SNAP ROMP EDEN BOUT BILL DAMS PLY IBID ULAN WOK STEP CRUX WASH GLEE BEEF MOT BABE FUN FANG DUCT HAND PANT PANG DADS LAIR
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Avid

Question Re: Authorization errors

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Couldn't find any support cases, registration, or ilok.com info based on your DUC email address so that doesn't give us much to work with.

Can you confirm that you downloaded the Pro Tools 9 license to your iLok on ilok.com?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 AM

Smile Re: Authorization errors

I went to the iLok site and downloaded the latest driver and client software for OSX. I've installed it, and synced my iLok. I've moved since my last contact with Avid so I'll have to dig my ProTools box out of storage. I'm thinking that maybe I hadn't run 9 on the Mac Mini when I lived down in Evansville because I had left it in Granger.

I'm pretty easy to find:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I'm not sure which addresses Avid/Digidesign/M-Audio have for me, but the [email protected] is my preferred email for important stuff like software registration.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Authorization errors

I just found a photo which proves I was running the Mac Mini down in Evansville.
http://lo-res.com/gear/gear-studio.html

I had also tested running ProTools 9 on my Windows 7 PC using the same iLok, but I don't recall running it outside the interface testing I did with ProTools support. We were able to get the FW1814 to work in ProTools on the PC but on the Mac all we got was digital noise. The FW1814 works fine on the Mac in Logic, GarageBand, and Cubase; I've now migrated the FW1814 to the basement to a used Mac Pro I purchased, but I'm still in the process of unlicensing software (apps and plugins) on my PC so I can re-license it on my Mac Pro. This process has been a real PITA.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Authorization errors

I dug up this ASC information late last night. A note on the "No Customer Response" that the tech placed into the record below - that's because my last ASC case was closed because the technician had no clue how to resolve it, not because I wasn't responding to Mr. Barely-speaks-English. I'd be willing to buy another support contract if I _have_ to, but I don't think it's right to charge me to get the software AUTHORIZED on my computer just because I run a .05 updater on the thing. I guess another option is to chuck version 9 and buy version 10 but there's the principal of the thing - if the software would run at version 9.01, 9.05 shouldn't break it.

I am more than ever convinced that software authorization/protection schemes do more to punish the customer than to protect the software from being hacked by pirates. I'm a legit user with a bunch of money wrapped up in software, plugins, and hardware, who has used ProTools since ~2001 when I bought a Digi-001. Why would I want to risk slowing down my computer with some hacked, virus-laden version? Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

ASC Details

Avid Support Code (ASC)
(Click ASC for usage information)
Activated On
(mm/dd/yy)
Expiry Date
(mm/dd/yy)
366772746 03/11/11 07/30/11

ASC Usage Details

ASC Date
(mm/dd/yy)
Medium Case ID Case Status Subject (Short Description)
366772746 03/11/11 Phone 01547239 Closed - No Customer Response Firewire 1814
Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Exclamation Re: Authorization errors

Ok, my PT 9.0 LE crossgrade activation code reads:
PT9LEU135-YF3164808-2152U71

And the serial number I have written down reads:
BEAMX04402731E

I would have performed the activation between the last week of March and the first week of April. However, when I log into Avid's website and check out my account, it shows PT7, PT8, and today's PT10 order, but there is no listing for PT9. What happened to my activation? Although I guess I'm going to try to get version 10 up and running, that shouldn't eliminate my ability to run version 9, should I choose (upgrading my entire backlog of recordings to a new format is always a pain, since I've been on PT since version 5.5 with my Digi-001).
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Unhappy Re: Authorization errors

I was finally able to get PT10 going tonight. But its performance is worse than PT9. I'm only using 8% cpu, 6 tracks 1 aux bus 123 seconds, fails at about 50 seconds.
Bounce handler cannot keep up -9132. I've increased the cache to 1024 and lowered the quality to 16 bits but it still chokes.