Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-25-2021, 07:14 PM

Default Possible to Email Songs

Hi all -- this will probably fall into the stupid question category, but...

Does anyone have tips or tricks for processing a song file so that it can be emailed? I'm trying to find a way to email song demos to band members, but the file size when bounced to MP3 is too large. Compressing the songs using Apple's Finder compress command only reduces file size by 1 MB or so, not enough to make a real difference.

Long story short, I recorded a jam session using an iPhone. I imported the very long track into Pro Tools and broke it into the 25 actual songs, cutting out chatter. When I bounce the individual mono tracks they range in size from about 6 to 13 MB. Band members don't use a shared drive like Google Drive or Dropbox, so trying to use email.

Is there any simple solution or trick or am I a total noob? (Don't answer that!). I wasn't able to find this Q in previous threads. Thank you!

Pro Tools 2019:6
Apollo Twin Interface
iMac Mojave 10:14:6, 32GB RAM
Old 01-25-2021, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Possible to Email Songs

Hi and welcome to the DUC!

As songs are too large for emails, I like the free version of WeTransfer

Upload your file to https://wetransfer.com/ and enter the recipient/s email address/addresses.

WeTransfer emails your recipient/s and includes a download link for your file. Send files up to 2GB for free.

(WeTransfer Pro costs – you can send up to 20GB at a time – but I just send multiple small files for free)
Old 01-25-2021, 10:14 PM

Default Possible to Email Songs

As mentioned above, WeTransfer works well for your intended purpose.

But... 6-13Mb as an attachment in this day and age is really a non issue. I routinely send and receive emails with 10Mb attachments. Not a problem at all.

If you’re sending one song, email is fine. If you need to send a bunch together, then WeTransfer is the simplest option.

Also, you say your band members don’t use shared cloud storage like DropBox or Google Drive. Well, they don’t need to. Rather than sharing the folder with them, just send them a download link to the folder on your cloud storage hosting solution. You don’t have to use the shared collaborative features. You can simply send them a download link to the folder and they can just click on it and save the files to their computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2021, 12:17 AM

What bit rate are you chosing when bouncing?

No need for higher than 128kbps bit rate which is Streaming-ish quality and the lowest I would use so the artifacts and background noise doesn’t get heard.

Check what setting is at when you are chosing where to bounce and let is know.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-27-2021, 04:13 PM

Thank you all very much for the helpful suggestions! Mountain Annie