How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Default MacPro4,1 optical out -> Avid HD I/0 not working

Hi,

I'm trying to connect the optical S/PDIF (Toslink) output of my MacPro to an Avid HD I/O. I wanted to use the enclosed HD I/O's optical ADAT input.
Unfortunately I'm getting no audio signal at all. Not even a crackling occurs.

I also tried with the optical inputs of my 192 Digital interface and with my ProFireLightbridge which is connected to my MBP.

The ProFireLightbridge produced at least some crackling ... but still no audio.

I googled a bit and found out that for some people it's working and for some people not.

Are there any specific options/settings I could try ?

Additional info:

All my 4 Avid/Digidesign interfaces are clocked by a BigBen.
Also one PC (using RME Multiface HW - routed back via Lightpipe to a 96 I/O), another PC and the ProFireLightbridge (routed back via Lightpipe to 192 Digital I/0) and my Roland vSynth GT (clocked via SPDIF from BigBen and routed back via SPDIF to the 192Digital I/O).

Everything works fine except the Mac's optical out
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Default Re: MacPro4,1 optical out -> Avid HD I/0 not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
snip ... I'm trying to connect the optical S/PDIF (Toslink) output of my MacPro to an Avid HD I/O. I wanted to use the enclosed HD I/O's optical ADAT input.
ADAT Optical and SPDIF Optical are not the same thing. Are you plugged into the correct one? and did you configure the correct one in your Hardware & IO Setup?

http://www.avid.com/Static/Resources...al_enlarge.jpg

From the manual:
"Note that Optical S/PDIF is not supported with the Digital I/O card and is supported with the enclosed Optical ports only (for more information, see “Optical (ADAT) [Encl]” on page 10)."
Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
ADAT Optical and SPDIF Optical are not the same thing. Are you plugged into the correct one? and did you configure the correct one in your Hardware & IO Setup?

http://www.avid.com/Static/Resources...al_enlarge.jpg

From the manual:
"Note that Optical S/PDIF is not supported with the Digital I/O card and is supported with the enclosed Optical ports only (for more information, see “Optical (ADAT) [Encl]” on page 10)."
Hi Tweakhead,

you're my man - thank you so much !!!!

I double checked that I'm using the enclosed optical input od the Avid HD I/O and now it works great ! So it seems like, that I used the wrong optical in
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Good news. Happy to help. Thanks for reporting back, as it helps other people in the future.