Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Izotope Ozone

Hi,

I'm playing around with the demo of Ozone, and so far I really like what I hear.
What do you guys think?

Greetings from a baking hot Stockholm...
/Fredrik
Old 07-11-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Izotope Ozone

i like it too. very flexible and powerful. i've seen posts where the quality of the limiter is questioned but i don't hear it. i've A/B'ed with the L3 and it seemed very similar. the company is very responsive as well.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:34 AM

if i had to pick one tool for self mastering Ozone would be it..
Old 07-11-2005, 10:22 PM

Quote:
i like it too. very flexible and powerful. i've seen posts where the quality of the limiter is questioned but i don't hear it. i've A/B'ed with the L3 and it seemed very similar. the company is very responsive as well.
You can hear it. Say you're mastering a song that starts off with a shaker, you can hear it pumping the track. I've tried everything, but can't seem to get around it. Strange!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:00 AM

then don't record shakers!!

in my tests against the L3, on my projects, i've found it to be a good tool.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:51 AM

Hi,

I find it great a tool, the eq match is a nice feature! overall, not really a stereo mix bus thing! more suitable for post mastering!! ditched L2 and maxim, haven't tried L3.

They have a fully operating demo version isotope.com

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:56 AM

since this is a RTAS only plug is it true you cannot use it on a Master Fader? If so it is useless for mastering.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
since this is a RTAS only plug is it true you cannot use it on a Master Fader? If so it is useless for mastering.
Hi,

This is HTDM and you can use it on a master fader! it does use a lot of processing power and being HTDM it will give you no indication of how much cpu it is using ( as so with all HTDM)

It works great on a master fader just its more suitable for post mastering!!

P.S. Don't use it as multi mono plugin! it doesn't like it! make sure you use multi-channel.

Regards

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:10 AM

People are always looking for that all-in-one magic solution to make their project sound amazing. Tools like this are only a cheap imatation of the real thing & should for the most part be avoided. Having tried the Ozone demo some time ago, I found that while it did have some useful features e.g. dc removal, decent dithering options etc. for the main aspects of mastering it really didn't cut it. The EQ, Compression, Limiting & analog simulation is really only suitable for demo release material.

Mastering is one area of production that can't be faked convincingly using cheap software or hardware. Attempting to master your own mixes is not an ideal solution for many reasons. In fact in most cases these sorts of all-in-one tools often do more harm then good, even in the hands of an experienced operator.

I would suggest that if you need to master something yourself due to budget restraints, that you at least look at buying separate plug-ins that are capable of doing the job more effectively. There are some good plugin options available albeit a little more expensive then the all-in-one solutions...

Matt

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 07-14-2005, 02:03 AM

Quote:
People are always looking for that all-in-one magic solution to make their project sound amazing. Tools like this are only a cheap imatation of the real thing & should for the most part be avoided. Having tried the Ozone demo some time ago, I found that while it did have some useful features e.g. dc removal, decent dithering options etc. for the main aspects of mastering it really didn't cut it. The EQ, Compression, Limiting & analog simulation is really only suitable for demo release material.

Mastering is one area of production that can't be faked convincingly using cheap software or hardware. Attempting to master your own mixes is not an ideal solution for many reasons. In fact in most cases these sorts of all-in-one tools often do more harm then good, even in the hands of an experienced operator.

I would suggest that if you need to master something yourself due to budget restraints, that you at least look at buying separate plug-ins that are capable of doing the job more effectively. There are some good plugin options available albeit a little more expensive then the all-in-one solutions...

Matt
Hi,

I don't think anyone was suggesting for one minute that this is a replacement for a professional mastering house! like yourself!? No more than Reason would be a replacement for a professional pro tools HD accel recording studio! like myself!? But it does give a great all round package for those who can't afford to, and those who wish not to, to be able to do a competent job for very little expense.

Your right, there are some other great plugins available that do a better job of the individual processes, but this gives you them all together in one easy to use plug, and the results can be very good in the hands of the right pilot!! yes i may be "faking it" as you put it, as this is a plugin for $400 and not a $100000 mastering house! but my clients are more than happy with the results and keep coming back.

Ozone users aren't really your customers? so how about sharing your knowlwdge and giving some mastering advise to us rec engineers

Regards

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com