Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2014, 10:35 PM

Default Fast Track Pro & Mavericks signal issue?

Alright, so I've had a Fast Track Pro for roughly 3 years with almost no issues until now. Initially I used my FTP with my Windows 7 computer, which worked perfectly with Cubase. In about 2011-2012 I purchased a Macbook and if I can remember, I had no issues with getting the Fast Track Pro to function with logic Pro 9 at the time. My macbook broke quickly, so i switched back to my Windows 7 PC and it still worked immaculately. I repurchased a Macbook Pro (non-retina) January 2014, and now i'm having issues with my Fast Track. The first issue I noticed is that if it ever cooperates (which is almost rarely and for a short period of time) my signal knob is turned to around 50% for a decent volume, which wasn't normal compared to it being around 20% on my PC/my old macbook. Also, when it works, It sounds fine in logic Pro 9 but if I speak a little loud or i get closer to the microphone, the signal somehow lowers and lowers until I need to be almost kissing the microphone to pick up ANY sound. From then on it doesn't return back to normal, as if the computer or something has an automatic input-lower that lowers the device's volume if it begins clipping-- which I'm assuming it doesn't. If i sit down and maybe look up how to fix it, I would randomly go back to logic to test it out and it would start working again-- until i start speaking into the mic louder, then the issue reoccurs. I'm on the latest Mavericks update, and the issue occurs with both the latest Fast Track Pro driver and without a driver (because uninstalling the FTP driver has resolved a few people's issues online). Help! It isn't a Logic pro issue either because the signal issue happens in Garageband too.

I have an AT2020 plugged into the the FTP via XLR. I've replaced my XLR cable and my USB cable-- still no luck.
Macbook pro Mid 2012
2.5 GHz intel Core 15
Mavericks 10.9.2
My microphone is a condenser microphone so yes, my phantom power switch is on. Bluetooth was turned off, and I've tried repositioning my FTP AND switching USB ports.
Also i cannot recall if it is normal, but if I turn my input signal to about 95% to the right, loud noise would appear, but it's happening now. Just to throw that out there.
Help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Fast Track Pro & Mavericks signal issue?

Do you see the levels drop in the FTP control panel as well? Have you tried another microphone, or does it also do this using an instrument input? By the sounds of it, I don't think it is a driver or software problem.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM