Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2003, 05:48 PM

Default so much for fewer restarts with OS X...

Using HD 2, G4 450 dp, OS 10.2.6, PT 6.1

I work for hours using reason and protools with rewire. no trouble, then go take a shower or have a meal. When I return, protools doesn't work. When I have the cursor over PT, I get the dreaded spinning beach ball.

This last time I wanted to really see what it took to get going again. I was told "with os x, protools can't bring the whole rig down. You just force quit and restart.

Well, after waiting for 5 minutes of the colorball, I did force quit PT. and reason, it ws hung too. Then I tried to restart PT. The first message was a -4 error, then it said "could not complete your request because midi string...." or something like that, at which point PT quits again.

I tried the various stages of resetting things, to see if anything short of a restart would work.

First I trashed the dae and digi prefs, tossed the trashg and tried to launch pt again.
Same error messages.

Next I trashed PT prefs and tried again. Same thing.

Next I relaunched the finder. No help either.

Finaly, I logged out and back in. Still got the same error.

After a restart, everything is fine. Oh well. Hope springs eternal.

Peace.

Thanks for trying digi.

www.tompaul.com
Old 07-22-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: so much for fewer restarts with OS X...

Check in the System Preferences to see if your machine is set to sleep automatically.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:04 PM

I was surprised to see in the Read Me for PT 6.1 that Digi says it is necessary to restart the computer when there is a force quit or a unexpected quit. I too was told the great thing about OS X is that after a crash you don't have to restart the whole rig. I have in fact had unexpected quits and successfully reopened PT with out restarting.

I can only imagine that the connection to TDM hardware can get messed up in a force quit so a restart is required. I guess that makes sense. But it is a bummer.

P.S. Also after any force quit/restart it's probably a good idea to go to disk utility and "repair permissions."

Note: Oops...This isn't what I meant, I corrected this statement below...
Old 07-22-2003, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowbox:

P.S. Also after any force quit/restart it's probably a good idea to go to disk utility and "repair permissions." [/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">are you kidding? That takes at least10 minutes. No way i am going to wait or ask a client to wait for that. Do you really do that everytime?

So should I set the energy saver to never sleep? It is set to sleep after one hour. Can'
t protools survive a wake up?

www.tompaul.com
Old 07-22-2003, 07:27 PM

You're right--I should have said after you have a few sudden quits or force quits causing you to restart a bunch of times you should do the repair the permissions. I definitely don't do it after every force quit.

ProTools does not support the Energy Saver. You might want to check out the Read Me file for 6.1 update. There's a huge list of "known issues." The Energy Saver issue is one of the big ones.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tomcat:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by shadowbox:

P.S. Also after any force quit/restart it's probably a good idea to go to disk utility and "repair permissions."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">are you kidding? That takes at least10 minutes. No way i am going to wait or ask a client to wait for that. Do you really do that everytime?

So should I set the energy saver to never sleep? It is set to sleep after one hour. Can'
t protools survive a wake up? [/QB]<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, there's no need to repair permissions after a force restart, but it is recommended that you run fsck -y from single user mode. It's Apple's disk utility. The same one that comes up in OS 9 after a crash.

And yes, sleep is your problem. Set the machine to never sleep. Even putting the machine to sleep with PT open in OS 9 will cause a crash. G4's with PCI cards installed have always had issues with sleep, no matter what OS you use. Did you see the OS X hint's Digi put at the top of the page?

In System Preferences > Energy Saver
Uncheck anything that allows the computer to go to sleep/shutdown/ power save etc.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Energy Saver settings are the second item on the OS X requirements page on the website:
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/os.cfm

and item number 4 under "Installing Pro Tools 6.1 on Macintosh" in your "Upgrading to Pro Tools 6.1" document.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:14 PM

oh jeez. ok ok i promise to read the docs from now on

Thanks for clearing this up everyone!

www.tompaul.com
Old 07-23-2003, 03:27 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

You were supposed to write that 10 times...you missed one. I suggest you write it over... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2003, 08:19 AM

Running fsck -y without CD:

Reboot, after the starup sound press and hold "command and s" (boots into single user mode)

type "fsck -y" press RETURN
try again if errors are found, repeat until all clear.

type "reboot" press RETURN

done.