Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2008, 05:04 PM

Default PT 7.4 cs3 - Text Input stops working

OS X 10.4.11
Mac G5 Dual 2.7 - 6GB Ram
PT version 7.4cs3

Since upgrading from 7.3 to 7.4cs3, after a breif period of time, Text input becomes completely disabled. I cannot name or enter values in any text fields. This is true for track naming, Plug-in naming, and session naming via the save dialogue. No other applications are effected, this is a pro tools issue.

But, I can still use key commands. Save, switch windows etc etc, all key commands are working. But any field with a dialogue for entering text does not work.

If I quit pro tools, and re-open. I get the ability to type text back for a brief time, and then randomly it becomes disabled again.

anyone else see this?

bd
Old 03-23-2008, 05:35 PM

Default Re: PT 7.4 cs3 - Text Input stops working

I experienced this for the first time ever, shortly after upgrading to 10.4.11 and Pro Tools is not installed on this particular Mac.
Textedit was/is okay, just could not rename folders and the like
I have Pro Tools on another machine 10.4.9 and did not experience it on that machine.
For me it is a bug in 10.4.11 that comes and goes, although not recently since regular maintenance.
It may not be related to your situation but as you are on 10.4.11 i thought i would mention it.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 PM

This bug has been around for over 2 years. There are numerous threads for it, and basically Digidesign says they can't really reproduce it.

I have found it happens more often when you open and close different sessions from within the same folder. But it's not really repeatable, and has actually disappeared from my system for the last few months.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Avid

This has been on ongoing investigation and we've turned up some info recently that points to an OS issue - or at least something that would indicate why we are having difficulty determining the source of the problem. There are many reports of this happening in other applications besides Pro Tools:

http://overstated.net/2005/03/23/os-...-locking-issue

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....98977&tstart=0

http://cssbeauty.com/skillshare/discussion/1487/

We are continuing to investigate this and have logged a report with Apple for an investigation on their end.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:34 AM

Despite this "problem" being around for two years, I NEVER had it until I bought the Waves Mercury Bundle. Then, I had it on a regular basis. But now it is gone. Two changes: Upgrading PT7.4cs2 to cs3, and upgrading Waves to 5.9.7 when it came out. Both happened at about the same time. I can't say if either or both did it, but it is gone.

BTW, I have two systems (G5 dual 2.7's, OSX 10.4.9, HD3), and the problems came and went on both machines at the same time. Personally, I think it was Waves.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Avid

Quote:
Personally, I think it was Waves.
We had inklings of this as well, and our extremely long, convoluted repro process includes Waves plug-ins, but we have many reports of others who don't have and never had Waves installed having this problem, including those that don't have Pro Tools installed.