Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 AM

Default Re: How do I free up voice count in HDX

Hi Guys,
Is there a comprehensive list of all of the new "rules" for getting the most out of HDX/voice count?

For example, I wasnt aware of the voice stealing implications of running a
native plug on a track with Heat in pre fade.

It would be nice to have all of them, including the tips mentioned here.

thanks in advance.

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Audio View Post
No this is incorrect I am using 90 tracks about 60 from that are vocals .
Of those 90 buss and aux tracks are included .

90 tracks is the total of all channels not just audio tracks

I think you are missing the voice vs. tracks logic in PT. 10 5.1 "tracks" need 60 voices. So the info 90 tracks doesn't mean much in terms of voice-count. 90 stereo-audio-tracks need 180 voices.

you wrote:
Quote:
Guestimate of 90 tracks aux,s buss,s incl. 65 vocal channels Almost all instruments are in stereo . All 60 vocals in mono into stereo buss,s of coarse.
90xstereo=180 voices. no?

Or are you talking about 45 stereo = 90 voices?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McDude View Post
Hi Guys,
Is there a comprehensive list of all of the new "rules" for getting the most out of HDX/voice count?

thanks in advance.
The rules are exactly the same under HDX as they were under HD for the last decade.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

thanks in advance.
The rules are exactly the same under HDX as they were under HD for the last decade.
So with a HDX1 you have no advantage over a native rig in terms of voice-count. In fact a native rig might have more power if you run a lot native plugs on HDX1.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
So with a HDX1 you have no advantage over a native rig in terms of voice-count. In fact a native rig might have more power if you run a lot native plugs on HDX1.
Not true. On a HD if you inserted a Native PI after a TDM it used 2 voices (on a mono track) HDX uses one. A stereo Native PI on an Aux or Mstr used 4 voices on HDX it uses 2. A HD2 or better had 192 voices a HD one had less(can't remember exactly 96 or 126) HDX has 256 per card. HD could not go higher than 192 no matter how many cards you had e.g. HD 6 was still 192 voices. HDX each card adds an extra 256. It's quite different really and seems to go a lot further than old HD when mixing up PI's if you know what you are doing and avoid certain scenarios then the combined power of the HDX + Native will exceed what you can do on just HD Native.

Last edited by Neil Pickles; 11-16-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: error
Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
Not true. On a HD if you inserted a Native PI after a TDM it used 2 voices (on a mono track) HDX uses one. A stereo Native PI on an Aux or Mstr used 4 voices on HDX it uses 2. A HD2 or better had 192 voices a HD one had less(can't remember exactly 96 or 126) HDX has 256 per card. HD could not go higher than 192 no matter how many cards you had e.g. HD 6 was still 192 voices. HDX each card adds an extra 256. It's quite different really and seems to go a lot further than old HD when mixing up PI's if you know what you are doing and avoid certain scenarios then the combined power of the HDX + Native will exceed what you can do on just HD Native.
Correct.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Thanks.
Any more clarification of voice usage when Heat is enabled?

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 11-17-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks.
Any more clarification of voice usage when Heat is enabled?
Re Franks post his information re voicing is wrong the usage is different between HD and HDX see my previous post in this thread.

Re HEAT I'm just off to the studio now. I'm not a huge user of it so I'll give it a test. I still use a lot of AC202 McDSP and Phoenix, where I can pick and choose which channel and adjust the sounds per track, as HEAT is global it's not too flexible apart from a bypass, it does sound cool though, so maybe I'm missing out.

I'll post later re it's voiceing impact.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 AM

HEAT in HDX as on HD only applies to audio channels, it uses no additional voices if a native plug in is inserted if it (HEAT) is in its default status of Post processing. If you switch it to pre insert processing it uses one voice per mono track 2 per stereo etc.

On Audio channels if you are using Native PIs always use them as first, second, third etc in sequence and they will use NO additional voices. The worst thing you can do is AAX DSP, then Native, then AAX DSP, then Native then DSP etc as each time you will use one more voice per mono track.

On Aux, Masters, Inst it will use 2 voices on a stereo track always, but again if you add Native sequentially it will not use more voices after that initial hit. Once more avoid DSP, Native, DSP, Native sequences as it will use 2 more each time you do that.

If you know this info then there is no need to unnecessarily eat up of your voice resources.

HDX is way better for mixing Native and DSP than HD is which used twice the resources described above and also had less voices 192 on a HD2 or better in the first place.

I'm loving the integration personally but that's just as well as we need more DSP PIs, however, its a lot better now than it was when I got in on the bleeding edge and a new AAZ DSP PI does seem to be released every few weeks.

Right I'm off to master an LP mixing Native, AAX DSP and hardware (which Pro Tools is exceptionally well suited to) and maybe download that free AAX DSP Metric Halo PI !

More Amp sims and an AAX DSP delay HELLO Soundtoys are you listening!!!! Would be nice though
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
Re Franks post his information re voicing is wrong the usage is different between HD and HDX see my previous post in this thread.
You are correct. I my statement I generalized about losing voices when going AAXdsp to AAXnative. I should have included the exact figures.

Just wanted to point out that you lose voices when using dsp and native in combination just like under TDM.

Frank.