Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack playback issue in ProTools LE 8

The problem seems to be a faulty USB cable, now it sounds the way it should.

First I listened to the saved audio files that I recorded in the PT session through my EMU soundcard, and they sounded fine, so then I knew that it was only the playback in PT that was messed up.

I changed to another USB cable and now it works, so I'm happy now.

I did update my PT to 8.05 and that was a HUGE update file for sure!

I have FW 2.0.1 on my ER since I installed the Expansion Pack earlier, like Darryl said.
Also, it says Build 0.1.5.7.
Is this linked to the FW or is this something you can update separately too?

Anyway, thank you all for taking the time with this and I sure will hang around this forum in the future.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 AM

The build number is linked to the firmware release, you have no control over this.

Darryl
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks Darryl, thats what I suspected.

Come to think of it...I did install the Expansion Pack with the USB cable that worked badly with ProTools.
Could that have affected the install in any way?
I ask this because I feel that the sound in my ER actually became a little bit different than what it was before. I am fully aware of the Speaker Breakup, so it's not that, but it feels like the sound became a bit more fuzzy or fizzy, in lack of a better description.

At the same time I have only had it for a week, and I am, of course, not yet fully accustomed to the sound in ER, so maybe I am just imagining things here.

Even so, is it possible to do the Expansion Pack install again?

Tony
Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Yes it is possible to do the firmware update/install again. For licensing reasons this has to be done from the same PC or Mac (or contact Avid support to work around this). But it would be virtually possible for a firmware update to install but affect sound wrongly in subtle ways.

You mention speaker breakup, avid staff have posted great explanations on this here before but one trap is turning off cabs does not turn off the breakup and this is a bit confusing in the UI. Search for posts by Chris Townsend here on Speaker breakup- small changes can make noticeable changes. Also differen mics and cabs are available so be sure you are comparing things exactly the same and it's hard to do if comparing to recollections of a tone before.

To me the expansion pack was just a wonderful upgrade, love the JTM amp, stereo reverb and speaker breakup.

Darryl
Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 PM

Ok, then I'll try another installation just to se if that makes any difference.

I did read the Speaker Breakup info he had and I actually think that the Speaker Breakup sometimes helps smooths the sound a little bit, just as he said. It reminds me a little bit about the BOSS/Roland feature on their processors where you can mix the direct signal with the cab simulated signal. I think it's a very nice feature and can phase out some harshness and bring in some well needed brilliance to a tone.

Yes, trying to recollect a sound from memory is hard and sure isn't something to rely on most of the time, unless you know a specific soundsource very well.

I agree, the Expansion Pack was a great update and the price was reasonably as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-N View Post
Hello,

I'm having trouble with the playback in ProTools LE 8 with my Eleven Rack.
I have constant pops and clipping during playback and I know that Samuel7 had the same issue with his ER and he solved it by switching the USB cable from a 2.0/1.1 port to a 3.0/2.0 port.

Unfornately, I dont have a 3.0/2.0 port on my system. Am I out of luck on this one?

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thx
Tony
Hi everyone. Really, really pissed of with Eleven Rack so if anyone can help i really would appreciate it.

I am using an Apple iMac, OSX 10.5.8 with 3GB of memory. Eleven Rack firmwear 2.0.1, build 0.1.5.7 and PT 8.5.

When i load my first track in PT and start to record, my system is constantly stopping and giving me the message 'A CPU overload error occured. If this happens often try increasing the H/W Buffer Size in Playback Engine' and so on.

My Playback Engine settings are standard for PTs but i have tried adjusting these without any improvement!

I have also checked my CPU usage when playback of my track stops and it is reading no more than 11%. I then purchased a new high quality USB lead 2.0 costing £18 thinking that my previous USB lead was faulty. My tracks are still stopping and giving me the same error message as stated above.

If 'Eleven Rack' was specifically built to intergrade with PT why is so many people still having these problems. If there's anyone out there that can help please do so as i am just about to re-set my system back to using the 003 rack which i found very stable.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
If 'Eleven Rack' was specifically built to intergrade with PT why is so many people still having these problems. If there's anyone out there that can help please do so as i am just about to re-set my system back to using the 003 rack which i found very stable.
Is the 11R working ok in standalone? If it is, the problem isn't the 11R.

I use my 003R S/PDIF I/O the 11R and it works fine. You may want to do this, if so check out Benoni's blog for a video on setting up/using the two interfaces integrated in PT this way.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 AM

Hi. Yes the 11R is working perfectly when using it on its own.

Can you tell me exactly where i can find the video showing how to connect the 11R to the 003 rack as i'm still getting bad glitching and error messages just using the 11R on its own.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be wrong?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Hi. Yes the 11R is working perfectly when using it on its own.

Can you tell me exactly where i can find the video showing how to connect the 11R to the 003 rack
here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DRUGqfQ8o

or here:
http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.com/...tutorials.html

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-27-2012, 03:23 AM

Thanks for that although after following your excellent video connecting the Eleven rack with the 003 Rack through s/pdif cables has actually made the problem worse! I have used the correct s/pdif cables=750hm and the ins and outs have been connected as per your video, as have the hardware setup instructions!

Really bad glitching! After a couple of seconds trying to record a guitar part, my system abruptly stops with my last note played on the guitar repeating through the headphones and the meter in Pro Tools bouncing up and down. I am also getting different messages such as the CPU overload message which i have highlighted in my previous posts in this thread.

I can't stop this even by un-checking the record button on the track as everything freezes. The only way i can stop this is to 'force quit' out of Pro Tools, close the hardware down and re-start the process of loading Pro Tools again.

Then when i try to record again the same thing happens.

The session i am in at the moment is on a sample rate of 48 which has been matched on the 11R. Just wondering using 48 would this have anything to do with the problem?

I have used about three quarters of my internal disc space with plugins and so on but surely this shouldn't affect Pro Tools in this way?

As stated in my previous posts i purchased a new USB lead which i had hoped would cure the problem but hasn't. Upgrading to 3.0 speed might this cure the problem?

Have now disconnected the 003 Rack and am trying to use 11R as my standalone interface which is still bringing my system to an abrupt halt. Before reverting back to the 11R i disconnected the 11R and started to use the 003 rack to see if it would stabilize my system again and unfortunately it didn't, although, before purchasing 11R and introducing it to my system i had no problems whatsoever using the 003 Rack, so now nothing works!

Any help at all people would be greatly appreciated as i am friggin desperate at the moment.