Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 AM

Default Monitoring & Plugins on Summing Bus

I recently purchased a Antelope Audio Satori. Its a monitor manager and it has summing. When I send the summing output from the Satori to an input channel from my UA Apollo to a bus in PT 11.3.1 I can't use any of my plugins to do further mixing or monitoring on that bus. I even tried sending the bus to an audio track and arm for recording and it still doesn't do anything. I can't see the audio signal when its armed for recording the signal level will jump once I stop the audio and I can see the signal if I record the audio. I also noticed as well if I'm messing with a plugin on the bus I can see the signal level getting louder, but my audio isnt getting louder. Any help with this issue?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:11 AM

I'd be careful of a feedback loop. If you're sending stems to the summing box, then looping the summed output back into Pro Tools, you should make sure that the tracks it feeds in Pro Tools don't output again to the Satori.

I'm not sure what the issue is, I suspect a Pro Tools routing mistake. Or a physical routing mistake. Have you got your stems from the Apollo feeding the ch 5-8 in DSUB of the Satori? Or are you using the Sum Select function to loop back your monitor feed?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 AM

The feed isn't going back into the Satori, it's outputting to my monitors.

The stems are going to the CH 5-8 not the thru DSUB connection.

I was just messing with it and when I have it on Ch Select 1 which is the monitor out of the Apollo I get a double of my audio and I can hear the plugins working, but if I mute the sum channel or the audio channel the double goes away and I can't hear the plugins working anymore. And when I have it in Sum mode it goes away as well, but still can't hear the plugins.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:46 AM

The potential for feedback loop I described was because of this:

Quote:
When I send the summing output from the Satori to an input channel from my UA Apollo to a bus in PT 11.3.1
Old 05-15-2015, 12:09 PM

Sounds like a combination of things :

Auto Input monitoring, Pre-Fader metering, and a possible Feedback Loop just about to build up.

It's possible to create hardware inserts using matched I/O (for example outputs 5 & 6 to your outboard hardware, then back to inputs 5 & 6), then record the output of that track, to another audio track.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
The potential for feedback loop I described was because of this:
They don't give you any instructions on how to connect everything or how to set it up in a DAW. I watched videos on other summing mixers like the dbox and applied the same concept of that and that's how it's done with the dbox. Maybe I didn't describe it correctly.

Satori Stereo Sum Out > UA Apollo Input 7-8 > PT Aux Input 7-8, Output Open Bus > PT Audio Input Same as Output Bus from the Aux, Output to Monitors
Old 05-15-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Sounds like a combination of things :

Auto Input monitoring, Pre-Fader metering, and a possible Feedback Loop just about to build up.

It's possible to create hardware inserts using matched I/O (for example outputs 5 & 6 to your outboard hardware, then back to inputs 5 & 6), then record the output of that track, to another audio track.
These are some of the things I've been messing with. I turn on Input Monitoring Only and now I'm able to see my signal. I do have pre-fader metering on. I guess I'm not understand the feedback loop.

What you're describing here is how I have it setup. I can record it I just can't do anything with my plugins on that track until after I'm done recording. Like if I try to do a bus compression I can see it doing something I just can't hear it doing something. Even if I put a limiter on it. I can see it affecting the audio, but it's just not physically changing it.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:32 PM

I figured out how to stop the double audio for it work correctly. In the Apollo Console I had to mute the audio coming in there. Now I'm able to use my plugins and not hear double audio.